912 Forum 1965-1969

tailight size

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Bob M.
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tailight size

I have a 67 912. I know that in 69 the new LWB front turn signals were changed in size....about an inch added to the lens and smaller horn vents. I know changes were made in the tailights to incorporate a reflector. My question is, were the tailights also changed in size, or are they the same shape and size as the 65-68 SWB cars???

Thanks for any info.

Bob
Old 10-24-2006, 02:36 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

The taillights on the later cars were not changed in size, but the entire taillight assembly is different between the earlier and later cars. On the early cars, the entire taillight assembly pops out and you change the bulbs through the top of the housing. These units tend to have contact problems over time. On the later cars just the lens comes off, and you can change the bulbs w/ the housing still in place.

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Old 10-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Bob M.
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris, that helps...I was really wondering if I could use the seals for the later cars on the earlier ones (I'm not fond of the grey spponge rubber, although I know that's correct)....but I can see now that seals for the later cars are probably just for the lens, not for the housing. Guess I'll have to go with the grey ones.

Bob

Quick Reply: tailight size