912 Forum 1965-1969

Engine failure , circlip ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 12:27 AM
bigbrotherjohn
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine failure , circlip ?

I have a recently rebuilt engine and have been running it in. After a somewhat longer run i started to get oil smoke after the run. Posted here first..

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=230385

Did a compression test and had pretty good results, but oil on one of the plugs. Drained the oil tonight and found some metal on my drainplug. It doesnt look so good and im thinking it is a failed circlip that broke the oil ring and probably messed up the piston and cylinder. I will be tearing into the engine this week and keep updates coming.

Does anyone agree that this is probably the problem, and where can i get better cirlips, like the internal snap ring style. Would this work?
http://www.geneberg.com/advanced_sea...t+pin&x=8&y=11
Attached Images  

Last edited by bigbrotherjohn; 07-11-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:33 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

the link to the gene berg site doesnt work. if youre talking about the teflon ones used in vw, no, they wont work too well on the 912 engine. i asked the saem thing a year ago on the 912 bbs, i cant remember the reason but the response was overwhelmingly no.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:22 AM
bigbrotherjohn
Cruisin'

Thanks hoffman, i think the link is working now (works for me anyway). It is not the teflon type but a 22mm snap ring, is this an appropriate size?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:40 PM
bigbrotherjohn
Cruisin'

Tore the engine down this evening, Im getting good at engine drops, takes like 15 mins now, haha. As I thought, it was a circlip that went. I used the stock style wire circlips in the NPR pistons that look like they use the clips with a square profile. A stupid mistake that will cost me big now. One piston and cylinder is destroyed, the others look good. It also appears that the rod bearing have been ruined some how, I pray to god that the main bearings are OK. Is there any way to easily test for the main bearings, I guess I will be taking them out any way though so I can mic. them. Here are some pics.

The rods move back and forth about 3-4mm sideways, A sure sign of bad bearings I think,
Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (06-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Engine failure , circlip ?