912 Forum 1965-1969

generator wires crossed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 04:43 PM
funkky911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question generator wires crossed

My red light is staying on after I removed, and reinstall my generator on my 1968 912 currently I've got the brown wire connected to the terminal on the upper left side, the red wire hooked to the D+ terminal, and the black wire at the DF terminal. any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks Matt Southerland
Old 01-16-2005, 05:54 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Matt,

I'm at work right now so i dont have a manual or my car infront of me to reference to.

try www.912bbs.org they'll get you in the right direction.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Morrie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just looked at this in Round Top last weekend on several cars. First of all, the 3 wire harness goes directly from the generator to the regulator. The big brown wire goes from the bolt on the chassis of the generator to the case/housing of the regulator. Brown is ground all over in our beasts. The red wire is the D+ wire and the little black wire is DF. The cool thing is that all these terminals are labeled on the generator and the regulator. This helps alot.

Also, note that when installing a mechanical regulator new, or when an existing one has possibly received a shock, like a loose plug wire or even a miswire... it can be polarized by taking a wire and shorting D+ to DF for about 2 full seconds. There will be a little spark, this is normal.

Best,
Morrrie "my facts are sometimes even correct" Larson

Quick Reply: generator wires crossed