rust recon work

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 06:40 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default rust recon work

ive been planning to do some rust prevention for a while now, and nows a better tiome than any since my engines dead and i cant do much else until thats taken care of. i figure it should be a relatively cheep project in the scheeme of things -$120 for the floor and trunk kit from por 15. as long as i can save my carpet im ok. if not i can do a lowes special using my originals as templates, or for about 300 i can get a perloin carpet kit. replacing the vynal.. dont know how much that could be, but maybe i can get it cheep from a local place. if metal needs replaced im sunk, as i cant weld and would need to take it to my mechanic (who happens to restore vintage porsches!). needless to say if you do it right, and youre lucky it can be done with a low budget. if not, it can swallow you up! so i guess i have to say to myself at this point, 'am i lucky punk? well am i?' better to find out the structural integrety now than later.

ANYWAYS, knowing i have some window seals that need replacing and that rust never sleeps, i figured it was time to do some recon work.

well.. here goes the first step.. remove rear deck and see how bad the rear windo has really been leaking.

felt insulation looks like its in remarkable shape.. perhaps a good sign! (must shut up before murphy hears me! )

holy horse hair battman! this is original insulation.. never touched! maybe this isnt good. for those who do not know, the horse hair matting is what was used as inuslation. it was a mix of horsehair, and a grease or tar of some kind. this stuff is notorious for absorbing and trapping in water. this is one reason why these old cars rusted! also remember mines a life time east coast car! GULP

things seem remarkabley clean in alot of areas..

after chipping a little away.. yup thars rust in them thar rear sections..

after pushing some of the horse hair/tar debris and dust/rust away.. well its solid!!! just surface stuff so far!

hopefully the rest is ok.

now that the can is semi opened, ive gotta think about how to procede. do i get the rest done soon -clean it and coat it.. all the way down to the floor? get some carpet at lowes and make my own if all else fails and i cant save the carpet? or just do the shelf for now, and get the rest when i dont have to worry about the engine. was thinking this is a project to do while i figure out the engine plan, but im worried i might be opening a can of worms and getting over my head.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Sacto S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wool packing in the corners

Be sure you use a slender hook of some type and fish out all the old wool-like packing material in the lower window corners. This stuff is the root cause of a lot of the rust found in this area.

Have fun!

Quick Reply: rust recon work