1966 Porsche 912 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Edward1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1966 Porsche 912 Questions

Hi

Several question I would like to ask, perhaps someone can answer.
I have not had much time to get into the engine of the 912 yet. The engine starts, but is hard to start and backfires. Didn't want to run it much in case something is not right. Does the ignition key open the doors as well? I am getting ready to replace the front pan since the battery acid ate up the original pan and part of the front wheel support. Any tips for easier removal and replacement from someone that has changed theirs. The original color of the car was changed by onof the owners, was the original undercarriage as well as inside engine bay and trunk the same color as the exterior of the car?

Thanks

Edward
Old 10-31-2004, 12:46 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

so many things could do it... distributor, carbs, timing, exhaust leak (well it wont help)... best advice i can offer is if youre not mechainically inclined, have a shop that knows 912's or 356's tune up the engine, so you can have a ground zero to work from. this will make it so much easier for you to tune for now on (ie.. you know how it should run, and it shouldnt be way too far from your starting point your wrench set it at, as long as you keep up regular maintenence at the correct intervals).

what kinda carbs? what kind of distributor?

id have to know more details to help any more with the engines. honestly, im not the best with engines etc, if i were you i would talk to John Benton or John Thornton on the 912bbs.org.

my ignition key does not open my doors. i have 2 keys.. doors and ignition. targas have 3 keys (usualy), door, ignition, and a 3rd to lock the targa top in the trunk (the trunk doesnt lock, theres a thing inside the trunk that holds the top that locks).

now some cars, i believe early cars, may only have one key.. who knows, all depends on what the previous owners have screwed up and jerry rigged. only one way to find out and thats to find out for yourself whether your ignition key unlocks it. if it doesnt then you should see if you have a door key. if not find a good locksmith (at which you can ask around the 912bbs and find out the names of a few... i dont know em just remember em being talked about there).

front pan.. i had my mechanic/body man do it last spring. i didnt see where they cut. undercarage... im not sure
Old 10-31-2004, 01:00 PM
Jerry L
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Harry as to a once over by a good Mechanic that knows the Porsche 4 cyl power plant.
BUT just to throw out a couple of options, TIMING, and maybe dirty carbs if it has been sitting for a while, As a rough statring point not knowing your Distributor try about 3 - 5 degrees BTDC, and on the carbs if they look dirty hose then down with a good carb cleaner(with the air cleaners removed and use the little tube supplied to stick into all of the little holes (JETS) that you see in the top, do this with engine running keep the rpms up to keep it running and see where you are after that, IE better? doubt that it could be worse.

As for the key, My key (and I do mean singular, need to get another one) does fit everything, ignition, both doors and the glove box. if things feel tight lube all locks as with the big piece that you hold in your hand it is easy to twist it off, did that in one of my 58 coupes years ago.
Good luck
And you will be needing the windscreen vent (lever on dash) good defroster as well as vent.
Regards
Jerry Lenoir
Old 11-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Sacto S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted areas...

The engine compartment, front boot, underside, and interior pans were all painted black on the early cars.

Good luck with your project!

Quick Reply: 1966 Porsche 912 Questions