912 Forum 1965-1969

1968 Porsche 912 Barn Find

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 06:07 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 112 Posts
Default 1968 Porsche 912 Barn Find

Need some help for more information please. Long story short, a friend's friend's dad passed and he has a 68 Porsche with 28,282 original miles and 2 owners. Been garage kept but not driven since 92. They are reaching out to me because they know I am a Porsche guy (own 4), but nothing this old. I would love to own a 912 as my love for air cooled started 6 months ago when I bought a 993. My question, what is a car like this worth - ballpark? Is this a good spec? Color? Has it been modified according to the photos.

Old 08-26-2023, 12:11 PM
bayne
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

In my opinion, I'd say 20K plus another 15K depending on rust, to get it safely running. looks like air conditioning was added so in Texas you would probably want that running correctly. redoing the suspension, fuel lines, Carburetors, brakes, and probably some engine and interior work will be needed. Rust would probably be the main factor with cost of getting it road worthy.
Old 08-26-2023, 12:24 PM
jbkanas
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Runner
Need some help for more information please. Long story short, a friend's friend's dad passed and he has a 68 Porsche with 28,282 original miles and 2 owners. Been garage kept but not driven since 92. They are reaching out to me because they know I am a Porsche guy (own 4), but nothing this old. I would love to own a 912 as my love for air cooled started 6 months ago when I bought a 993. My question, what is a car like this worth - ballpark? Is this a good spec? Color? Has it been modified according to the photos.

Based on the VIN (129xxxxxx) on the front dataplate, this is a 1969 912. In my opinion, this is the most desirable 912 as it is the transitional year to the longer wheelbase chassis and is the final year of production. I have owned a 1969 since 1980, so there is a bit of bias.

This car looks highly original. It's difficult to judge the overall condition or suggest an appropriate price. You may want to check https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/912/ for historical sales information, or contact an appraiser if you are concerned about the overall fairness for the transaction. I offer a couple of additional notes:
  • I don't see any obvious rust issues from the limited images, especially along the leading edge of the front trunk. This is a good sign. Texas car (based on plates)? If yes, this could be a great example if the pan and front fenders are also rust-free.
  • 1969 Evidence: 1968 912 had an auxiliary airpump for emissions that is very undesirable due to excessively lean mixtures when running causing premature piston failure. There is no air pump present on this car.
  • 1969 Evidence: 1968 912 would have had "add-on" reflectors on the sides, front and rear, as side markers. In 1969 the side markers were incorporated into the light housings (not separate).
  • This car has the throttle positioner intact (small can with two wires, attached to coil mount). Most of these have been removed, since they make getting the 912 to idle correctly even more of a pain than it normally is. This is another vote for originality.
  • This car has air conditioning, which was a dealer-added system on these cars. Typical for a Texas car. 912s were not air conditioned from the factory. The A/C is a bit of a novelty, but can be a pain to deal with since all manner of holes and metalwork was done to route hoses and mount the evaporator under the dash. They use a piston-type compressor and draw a lot of power to operate. Also, the placement of the condenser pre-heats the cooling air coming into the engine which is not beneficial.
  • This car also has Fuchs alloy wheels. These were stock on 911s, and optional on the 912. The optional Fuchs on the 912 is a 14" wheel which are pretty rare. Read the gold sticker in the engine compartment carefully for wheel / tire fitment. The 15" Fuchs are much more common, as they were stock on 911s and are a common, period-correct, update for a 912.
Overall, this looks like a really nice, unmolested 912. If I were looking for a 912, this would be very high on my list.

Last edited by jbkanas; 08-26-2023 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Supplemental information related to Fuchs wheels.
Old 08-29-2023, 01:59 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbkanas
Based on the VIN (129xxxxxx) on the front dataplate, this is a 1969 912. In my opinion, this is the most desirable 912 as it is the transitional year to the longer wheelbase chassis and is the final year of production. I have owned a 1969 since 1980, so there is a bit of bias.

This car looks highly original. It's difficult to judge the overall condition or suggest an appropriate price. You may want to check https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/912/ for historical sales information, or contact an appraiser if you are concerned about the overall fairness for the transaction. I offer a couple of additional notes:
  • I don't see any obvious rust issues from the limited images, especially along the leading edge of the front trunk. This is a good sign. Texas car (based on plates)? If yes, this could be a great example if the pan and front fenders are also rust-free.
  • 1969 Evidence: 1968 912 had an auxiliary airpump for emissions that is very undesirable due to excessively lean mixtures when running causing premature piston failure. There is no air pump present on this car.
  • 1969 Evidence: 1968 912 would have had "add-on" reflectors on the sides, front and rear, as side markers. In 1969 the side markers were incorporated into the light housings (not separate).
  • This car has the throttle positioner intact (small can with two wires, attached to coil mount). Most of these have been removed, since they make getting the 912 to idle correctly even more of a pain than it normally is. This is another vote for originality.
  • This car has air conditioning, which was a dealer-added system on these cars. Typical for a Texas car. 912s were not air conditioned from the factory. The A/C is a bit of a novelty, but can be a pain to deal with since all manner of holes and metalwork was done to route hoses and mount the evaporator under the dash. They use a piston-type compressor and draw a lot of power to operate. Also, the placement of the condenser pre-heats the cooling air coming into the engine which is not beneficial.
  • This car also has Fuchs alloy wheels. These were stock on 911s, and optional on the 912. The optional Fuchs on the 912 is a 14" wheel which are pretty rare. Read the gold sticker in the engine compartment carefully for wheel / tire fitment. The 15" Fuchs are much more common, as they were stock on 911s and are a common, period-correct, update for a 912.
Overall, this looks like a really nice, unmolested 912. If I were looking for a 912, this would be very high on my list.
Thank you!!! Great information. You are correct, it is a 69 model. The history on the owner is that he was a hoarder and has nice stuff just tucked away for years. This is a Texas car, in Fort Worth.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:01 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Paint is all original.

Old 09-09-2023, 02:40 PM
Volk_Mike
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car! Amazing find in that original condition. Did you end up buying? I would love so see pictures of it brought back to life again.

Quick Reply: 1968 Porsche 912 Barn Find