912 Forum 1965-1969

Oil leaks help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 04:02 PM
997.2s
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil leaks help

I have a ‘67 SWT and it’s leaking/smoking from somewhere badly after warmup.

I replaced the valve cover gaskets and the oil pan gasket and it’s leaking somewhere higher up and hidden from view. I am fairly capable and can remove and refit the motor. Compression is good and the carbs were just rebuilt. Can anyone recommend how I go about “resealing” the motor and what other gaskets I need now? I really appreciate any help. I plan on dropping the engine within a few weeks.
Old 05-27-2023, 12:27 PM
jbkanas
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Good Morning,

I would suspect that the leak is from the oil cooler seals. The seals are two rubber donuts, harden with age, and crack and fall apart due to engine vibrations. You can replace these easily once the fan shroud is removed. This is a relatively simple task once the engine is out. Also, check and replace the rubber fuel lines in front of the fan shroud while you're in there.

Be sure and inspect the case for cracks where the oil cooler sits after you clean the area. Early 912 engines are known to develop cracks in the case where the oil cooler mounts. Later engines (1968 - on?), an additional mount to secure the top of the oil cooler to the fan shroud was incorporated to prevent this type of case damage.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:15 PM
997.2s
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much!

I looked for an oil cooler gasket kit on Pelican Parts but didn’t see anything. Do I have to buy each gasket/o ring separately or is there kit? Thx again!
Old 05-28-2023, 01:44 AM
jbkanas
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Oil Cool Gaskets

Originally Posted by 997.2s
Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much!

I looked for an oil cooler gasket kit on Pelican Parts but didn’t see anything. Do I have to buy each gasket/o ring separately or is there kit? Thx again!
I don't recall there being a kit; It's simply two fat rubber seals that I've usually bought individually. I'd give Pelican a call and ask, or talk to a local shop in your area and see if they will sell you a couple.

Quick Reply: Oil leaks help