Rennlist Member

Question no go go juice

Anyone have wiring diagrams available or have any idea on the following:
1) Car not run for 10 years
2) Good battery
3) Power to wipers,washer and interior dome lights
4) starter will not turn
5) No headlights
6) Although the emergency flasher will indicate on the dash the turn signals will not light (however the fronts are not connected at this time... continuous signal?)
7) No voltage to the hot side of the generator
8) No voltage to the presumes hot side of the voltage regulator
9) No radio
10) No fun!

Is there a master relay? Is it Hella 91PSTF 2x32Cp12v Do Not Drop?

Thx in advance,

Old 01-17-2004 | 01:50 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

John, nice to see more rennlisters that have nine dozens!

wiring diagram: online Dave Hillman has the wiring diagram on adobe Acrobat, and can be viewed in layers (each system as a separate entity.. ie if you only want to look at headlights, you can chose to only look at that layer, or if you want to only look at ignition stuff.. you can do that too.. or if you want to look at lights and windshiel wipers you can choose just those two.. or any combination you want!!)

http://www.hillmanimages.com/912/early_912_wiring.html

i would start by making sure the voltage regulator is good, and then all the grounds are good, all the connections are good etc.

the guys on the 912 buliten board system can better assist you than i.. im not good at the electrical stuff. these cars didnt really have too many relays if any. (i dont really know of that many off the top of my head)

http://bbs912.org/

the pacific north west region has a decnt sized following, but to be honest, if you really want your questions answered, ask on the bay area and so cal message boards (thats where most of us hang out and ask tech questions as thats where the gurus live).

not a bad looking 912 there! but im curious.. whats the story on those mirrors? the the PO put em there? ive never seen an original 912 with those mirrors, and the only early porsches that had mirrors in those spots had talbot bullet mirrors from the factory.

also, i would suggest getting in contact with Gregg Fishel and Mark Petry on the NW boards.. great guys and i believe both are in oregon.

also.. if you want i have a friend in oregon, in eugene, who is super nice, although hes not a guru, he knows his ****, and has a 912 (dosent post on those boards anymore, as he is spending more time dealing with some other things), but im sure he'd be glad to help you out. let me know if you need it, and ill PM Jaems email to you.

also i cant say enough good things about the 912 crowd. nicest guys and always willing to help out.

keep the faith!
Harry
Old 01-17-2004 | 03:46 PM
Ponchobroke
Addict
Rennlist Member

Harry,
Thx for the reply I did pull down eh wiring diagram and am currently trying to find it's begging and end (not possible I am afraid) and will check out bbs912.

As for the mirrors, I can only tell you that they appear to be original and are reflective of British design of the late 50's early 60's. If you look at British (and many US) delivered Jag's, MG's, and Triumph's up to about 1962-65, many have mirrors out on the fenders. Although not very effective (very narrow field of vision angle) they are certainly different and I will keep them as they are... being different is ALWAYS better.
Old 01-17-2004 | 07:18 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

i hear ya! im putting speedster wire mesh headlight grills on mine, along with talbot mirrors on the doors, and putting in horn grill mounted driving lights with yellow lenses. you know.. somthing definitly different and pushing the envelope a bit, and staying period correct -but certianly not going too far.

ive seen talbot mirrors mounted on the fenders like that, but never those round flag mirrors. they appear to be off of a beetle. either way its interesting and gives it a cool look.

glad to see you already posted on the bbs! they are the nicest guys around, and i just cant say enough about them, their comroderie, and also about how much help they can be in all matters dealing with the 912.

its possable to find the begining and end.. just a pain in the ***, and alot of work! if you put the time and effort in, and finally get her goin, you will have the biggest grin on your face.

i think somone put it best when they said, "why drive an old 4 cyl porsche instead of a newer, faster, fancier one? its more fun to push a slower car, with out all the fancy eqipment to its limits, than to drive somthing where your skill level couldnt come close to meeting its limits."

Quick Reply: no go go juice