Notices
912 Forum 1965-1969

Thinking of looking into a 912 as a project car, tell me some downsides please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 06:19 AM
GentlemanShark
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking of looking into a 912 as a project car, tell me some downsides please!

Hey guys, new to this forum, but I wanted to get your thoughts since I've heard you guys know it all here. To keep it short, I'm a fan of the stylings of the original generation Porsche 911 with the Targa style roof. However, I haven't found much content that describes the negative sides not often seen in reviews. Can you tell me some downsides that aren't as obvious to the eye like price, reliability, or availability? For reference, I'm comparing this to a Miata (Not at all similar, I know, but it's another car that I'm interested in). Insights on things you don't like such as handling, visibility, comfort (I'm tall, 6'2", so it may be a bit of an issue), and other quirks are helpful as I don't have a car on hand to test myself.

Thanks a bunch!
- GentlemanShark
Old 01-30-2018, 11:49 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

I don't even know where to start.
Porsches are very expensive. Miatas are very cheap.
Porsche parts are very expensive. Miata parts are very cheap.
Original Porsche parts are hard to find. Miata parts are plentiful.
Porsche mechanics are very expensive and they drive Porsches. Miata mechanics are cheap. Possibly they take the bus.
A Porsche is a real sports car. Miatas are 'cute'.
When I pass a Miata, that driver's wife might turn and ask why he didn't buy a Porsche? My wife has never asked why didn't I buy a Miata.
If you even ask such a question, you should probably buy a Miata.
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (07-13-2020)
Old 01-31-2018, 11:28 AM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GentlemanShark
Hey guys, new to this forum, but I wanted to get your thoughts since I've heard you guys know it all here. To keep it short, I'm a fan of the stylings of the original generation Porsche 911 with the Targa style roof. However, I haven't found much content that describes the negative sides not often seen in reviews. Can you tell me some downsides that aren't as obvious to the eye like price, reliability, or availability? For reference, I'm comparing this to a Miata (Not at all similar, I know, but it's another car that I'm interested in). Insights on things you don't like such as handling, visibility, comfort (I'm tall, 6'2", so it may be a bit of an issue), and other quirks are helpful as I don't have a car on hand to test myself.

Thanks a bunch!
- GentlemanShark
It depends from what do you want from the car. For what purpose do you want it.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:57 PM
GentlemanShark
Cruisin'

Thanks for the info. I'm interested I think in the 912 generation, but is there a list of year over year changes for the Targa?
Old 02-17-2018, 12:02 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

Take the bus ....
Lol
Old 06-18-2018, 09:55 PM
protex1
3rd Gear

This is awesome so I am going to copy it and post it in my Shop!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:40 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your feminine hygiene bill will be a lot less in a Porsche. With the Miata you will need tampons, maxi pads, Vagasil, FDS spray, Summers Eve, Vagisore, Vagishrink and Vagilube.

Seriously, it's a bad choice. The real argument is 912 vs 911 because the prices across the board are almost the same now.

IMHO - I pined for the easy to work on 912 I bought for $2k in 1992. But that same car might be $50k now. There are a lot of good P-cars between 2-50k - some even air cooled.

I ended up buying a 2011 C4S cab and as a car it blows away (in magnitudes) the 912 and the 928S I had before. Except for, the nostalgia of being able to wrench just about everything on the car and the smell of burnt oil, old leather, and horsehair.

Quick Reply: Thinking of looking into a 912 as a project car, tell me some downsides please!