912 Forum 1965-1969

1969 Porsche 912 replacement wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 11:40 AM
marshgator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 Porsche 912 replacement wheels

I have painted 6X 15 steelies on my fully restored '69 and want to upgrade to Chrome or Fuchs wheels. This car has discs all around. Can I upgrade to 7X15 wheels and where are best sources for these options? Renn /Stoddard/others?
Old 10-28-2017, 06:03 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

The quick answer is that the widest wheels that will fit without rubbing is 6x15. Steelies or Fuchs, painted or chrome, are readily available as repros from many sources.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:50 AM
marshgator
Intermediate

Thanks raspritz. That's the best answer I received and the one I was looking for to make this decision. Appreciate the response.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:17 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Parenthetically, my '69 911 came to me with 7x15 ATS cookie cutters. I immediately took them off and put the car into full restoration, but it may be those would work as well. Some like that look, though cookie cutters are not correct for a '69. Stock wheel size for a '69 was 5.5x15, though 6x15 was available as an option even by '67, and that is what most would use on a '69.

Rich
Old 10-29-2017, 11:16 AM
marshgator
Intermediate

I looked at the Fuchs as an option because they were so much in demand but I believe that this 912 Irish Green looks better to me in chrome steel with the hubs. I'll order a set from Stoddard in 6 X 15. I bought this car already fully restored by Lufteknic in Virginia. Having restored a car before, I jumped at the opportunity to get his one for the restoration costs alone. I wanted a 4 cyl. that was modified for 125 hp (similar to a '69 T 911) as I had a new '66 911 when it came out and wanted that feel again. This came available first. I also have a 2011 Turbo S (997.2) so power wasn't what I was looking for. I will probably keep it like it is when it came from the factory but I still would love to upgrade the interior to a complete Singer design with tan seats. Just hate to change what is already there. By the way do you know anything about the other option at the time...the wooden steering wheel with the aluminum spokes and Porsche emblem? Love to find an original one, if reasonable, or possibly a retro ? Noticed that they are available in Porsche gatherings in Europe from venders attending these get- togethers. Haven't seen them here in the states? Thanks again for your input. Made my day.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:53 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

I think you did well buying a car already restored. Resto costs are killer. I agree with you; I have a set of original chrome steelies in case I want to use them at some point. I might not change out a good interior, but a trashy one is nothing to save. My interior resto cost $13K. Wood steering wheels were discontinued with the '69 MY and so would be 'incorrect'. But it is your car, so do whatever you want. I got ahold of a c1967 Porsche factory prototype 911 wood steering wheel (black steel spokes, fat blond mahogany wheel, and no stripe) out of a Porsche factory auction in Europe, which I had restored by Bruce Crawford and which will go into the car, 'incorrectness' notwithstanding. That wheel is worth a mint, and I doubt anybody will object. Sierra Madre Collection is selling repro wood steering wheels which look very good in the photos, though I have not seen one personally.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:05 PM
marshgator
Intermediate

Thanks, the interior was restored to original and that was the reason I haven't done anything to it (although I really liked the Singer). I may try to find something like your wood steering wheel as well. But won't be disappointed if I don't find one at a decent value.

Quick Reply: 1969 Porsche 912 replacement wheels