911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:32 AM
awes3939
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Value?

So....wondering what someone who has more knowledge than me in the 930 realm might value this at. 1979 Turbo Slantnose in Met Black, 38,600 miles. Car looks to be extremely clean. In '06 had the engine rebuilt to 3.6. Sport seats, power sunroof, and has Porsche COA for matching engine / trans.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Eric
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2017, 06:55 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Eric, while a nice looking example of an aftermarket slantnose, the car will undoubtedly be valued less than it would have been, had the original configuration been maintained.

Is it a steel conversion? Aftermarket or Porsche parts?

Rebuilt to a 3.6L turbo...single plug? Am not aware of a OEM P&C offering that would have resulted in a 3.6L turbo. Believe Mahle offered 3.4L turbo P&Cs...not sure if they offered a 3.5L turbo conversion/upgrade.

Do you have a Bill of Materials/Labor for the engine work?
Old 06-25-2017, 11:02 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

^Sage advice right there.
All the mods listed would be very negative for some buyers = IE) me.
Is the mileage verifiable? Make sure that no wrecks with the vehicle as that was a fast way to go to SN.
And there were so many SN conversions back then...I'd say $65K at most.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:24 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

modded turbo's used to be all the rage but no longer, great time to buy one if that is what you want- I'd say that is a $50k car.
Phil
Old 07-02-2017, 07:10 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 07-05-2017, 09:30 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by awes3939
... Car looks to be extremely clean. Eric
^^ Assuming you saw this car in person,... the "cleanliness" can make or break the $15k difference in value opinions stated above.

Value is in the eye of the buyer

So if you've poured over this car yourself, and looked at the finer details, then maybe it is worth your purchase....

Did you look at,.. lets say for example: the shocks (were the dust boots cracked or fallen down?),... the suspension bushing ends (could you see any cracks there either?),... the engine from underneath (crud? oil leak residue?, rust in lots of places?), door seals condition?,.. the frunk under the battery tray area for rust?.... on & on...

38.6k miles eh? Looking at all those finer details will tell you whether this car was converted to slantnose & then tended to with TLC,... or left in the back of a non-climate-controlled shop allowing surface rust & dry-rot of seals.

Or a car like this might have history of being "shown" back in it's hay day (eg. maybe the shop that did the slantnose conversion wanted to market their trade skills?),.. and now it becomes a awesome driver.

Another BIG addition to finding YOUR right valuation of the car, is what you want to do with it,.. and how much you're willing to pay for that. For example, if you really want to "drive" your purchase (dare I even say autoX),.. then to me your pricepoint would be $50k & lower for a car like this. Why? cuz as you probably already know, for $45k-$50k your 996 Turbo (which you ALREADY OWN!!) that will knock your socks off on the road. But if you want a conversation piece at your local cars-&-coffee, and PCA social drives,... then maybe this is the perfect car for that..... at $50k or less.

Just IMO & .02 for what it's worth.
=Steve
Old 07-07-2017, 09:27 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmmm, I think the advice given pretty much hits the mark.
However, I will add that the car looks to be a euro 79 given the lack of side marker in the bumper.. and I would doubt the 38kmi being correct, especially if it is a euro car and has had a speedo change. It's probably not a 3.6 either unless the engine has been swapped.. you just can't build a 3.3 to a 3.6 not even using the Mahle Motorsports 3.5 p/c which yes, was offered.

Check the car out closely, if its a good/solid car, the conversion is properly done, doesn't bother you, and the price is right then go for it. People buy different cars for different reasons.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:13 AM
turbo owner
Track Day

If you want to convert it back to a standard 930 configuration, figure another 50k or so for that.

Factory wheels, interior work, other maintaince issues on top of that.

If you want to build a new car for those who feel a 40 year old car should look like new, figure another 50k or so.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:29 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbo owner
If you want to convert it back to a standard 930 configuration, figure another 50k or so for that.

Factory wheels, interior work, other maintaince issues on top of that.
Where do you guys get those numbers...?
Old 07-11-2017, 08:03 PM
turbo owner
Track Day

Originally Posted by onboost
Where do you guys get those numbers...?
1st hand experience, mine is almost complete.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:37 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Yeah.. I have the first hand experience as well... and 50k "to convert it back to a standard 930 configuration?" I think not.. unless their is prior accident damage, or quite a bit of rust repair.
Just say'n...
Old 07-11-2017, 11:43 PM
turbo owner
Track Day

^^^^^

No rust at all, NONE.

Had a little body work to do, fix the brake duct holes in the quarter panels and a quality paint job by a respect Porsche expert and a bunch of parts.

I'm going to guess since I don't have an exact total on the parts 15k ball park

30k on a quality bare metal repaint with all new seals, door, trunk, engine compartment and body seals.

4K in shipping back and forth

Do the math, it's not hard to do and you'll get about 50k
Old 07-13-2017, 03:54 PM
pdqcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Eric, while a nice looking example of an aftermarket slantnose, the car will undoubtedly be valued less than it would have been, had the original configuration been maintained.

Is it a steel conversion? Aftermarket or Porsche parts?

Rebuilt to a 3.6L turbo...single plug? Am not aware of a OEM P&C offering that would have resulted in a 3.6L turbo. Believe Mahle offered 3.4L turbo P&Cs...not sure if they offered a 3.5L turbo conversion/upgrade.

Do you have a Bill of Materials/Labor for the engine work?
you can get 3.6L using p/c & a 964 crank. Andial got to 3.5 & even 3.7 using just p/c. Oh & yes big fat p/c require casing machining.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:07 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbo owner
^^^^^

No rust at all, NONE.

Had a little body work to do, fix the brake duct holes in the quarter panels and a quality paint job by a respect Porsche expert and a bunch of parts.

I'm going to guess since I don't have an exact total on the parts 15k ball park

30k on a quality bare metal repaint with all new seals, door, trunk, engine compartment and body seals.

4K in shipping back and forth

Do the math, it's not hard to do and you'll get about 50k
Being in the business (Porsche Certified) and looking at the car being discussed.. I just don't see 50k and I've been involved in some very extensive restoration that have been on that 50k mark and well above..

As and example we had an 83 SC that had seen years of street and DE duty at the hands of an instructor. It required a tug on the Celette to get the tub back into spec, a right rear 1/4 replacement, and I think we replaced both front fenders.. and as you stated, it received a " a quality bare metal repaint with all new seals, door, trunk, engine compartment and body seals." The parts bill alone was $26k.. all said and done the total was around $52K

What I don't see on the car above is rust repair, Celette work, 1/4 panel replacement.. so I don't see the $50k, What I do see is 1/4 panel repair along with outer rocker and front fender replacement. I would find and refinish a set of clean used front fenders, and rockers.. and once done.. a quality bare metal repaint with all new seals, door, trunk, engine compartment and body seals." However, in actuality.. I'd just leave that car alone and drive and enjoy it.. instead of being worried about its perceived value.. especially if the op is getting a great deal on the car.
Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by pdqcarrera
you can get 3.6L using p/c & a 964 crank. Andial got to 3.5 & even 3.7 using just p/c. Oh & yes big fat p/c require casing machining.
Yep, well aware of that... however the masses think you get 3.6 with just a P/C update. And yes, 3.5 and 3.7 was simple with case marching.. Andial and Race Force used to sell the Mahle p/c kits for this. Once installed you're stuck with the uber expense set-up.. and should you have an issue there wont be singles available so you'll pop for another set... ouch!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:58 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd leave it as a slant, cool car.

Quick Reply: Value?