911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

1980 Porsche 930

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 11:57 AM
tp81
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1980 Porsche 930

Hi, I am new to the 930 section. The thread with my car is on DDK but though I would share with Rennlist as I tend to lurk in the background. Here are the majority of the pictures and updates to date.

I have posted in the past on other 993 cars I have owned. Love all things Porsche and have a 1973 E being restored (started in 2014...still a bit away), currently own a 1996 993 RS and have recently bought (Nov 16) a 930. The car is a one owner 44,000 miles, metallic black with black leather. It has been cosmetically neglected and not stored particularly well and is in need of a cosmetic refresh.

This caught my eye in February 2016, at the time it wasn't for sale. Totally blown away with a test drive and lusted after it ever since.

I intend to slowly bring it back to its glory.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:58 AM
tp81
Instructor

Those are the money shots....here's the more honest mugs shots.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:00 PM
tp81
Instructor

So far wheels off, coming back satin black, oil lines clamped rather than tie wrapped, rust off suspension components, seats out to have the bolsters fixed retaining the existing seat covers. Calipers off to be refreshed.....these have been rebuilt in recent time so just need freshened up. Engine will be coming out and all hoses pipes etc to be replaced. New air conditioning compressor sourced and new wheel purchased.

New rubber to be chosen. Originally the car was fitted with 205 front 225 rear, going for 205 and 245 which generally seems to be a recommended change.

The driver seat bolster was badly bent out of shape, years of sliding in and out. This was easily sorted by a local trimmer who has worked wonders for me in the past, door cards are out and with him to refresh and recover dealing with some cuts, scrapes and extra large holes cut out for Grudig superwoofers or what ever the hell is in the car.

I am all for patina.........but hate dirt and like things looking old but good!

Why do people do these things, looks like a looky likely badge, pleased Porsche is spelled correctly.

First coat then more tomorrow and then leather polished, should look better.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:02 PM
tp81
Instructor

Seats cleaned, dyed and treated.

The brakes have been stripped back ready for painting.

So the following is planned; cam covers to be restored, fan, fan housing all aluminum chromate finish. Numerous pipes to be replaced, lots just perished with age on account of the car not being driven and stored badly for a period of its life. Brakes are getting sprayed, intercooler and airbox off to the paintshop to get rubbed down and coated. Some new tin wear and the rest powder coated. Engine shroud will be cleaned of oil and years of dirt once the manifold is off. The aim is to have the engine looking very good, fresh but not overly restored, just detailed and cared for. The rear shocks will be coming off and sprayed to look like new.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:04 PM
tp81
Instructor

While the engine is out, I have the air box off getting straightened and painted. Minor bumps from being badly handled over the years. The intercooler was also scraped and could do with a refresh. I know some will be turning away in disgust, but I do like things looking original and fresh.

Some interesting projects on the go..

I collected the brakes after they have been treated to a matt finish caliper paint, I think this replicates the anodised finish pretty well without going to the trouble of stripping them completely.

Delighted with these, new bolts are sitting ready to go in. I really like the design.

I need to be careful not to go too far. I think longer term the air con radiator at the front will need changed and some other issue like that, my aim is to get it mechanically and cosmetically as good as it can be without going daft.

This was a slightly unwelcome surprise but I think I am becoming desensitized to rust....the Alfa and the E have seen to that.

The cavity for the nearside rear shock has seen better days.

....other side solid.

...local Lithuanian welder called in.

Currently getting as much of the rusted areas exposed and wire brushed, any areas showing wear or failure of the undercoat on the body is getting chipped off ready for POR 15 rust treatment then I will spray these with Kent rubber guard. Ultimately I intend getting the whole underside coated out for full protection. Just making the most of the opportunity to get the harder to reach areas treated while the car is stripped.

....and back to more pleasing images sent on to me today.

Some further progress. Delighted with the way the air box looks, decided to replace the stickers rather than try and reuse the old ones.

The suspension has been freshened up as well, stopped short of bringing these into the house for any pictures.

No going back now.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:05 PM
tp81
Instructor

Some parts ready to go to the metal finisher. We have a small bead blaster at work for spark plugs and other items. Handy piece of kit.

Inner bezels came up really well.

Outer ones are good as well.

The intention is to get these sprayed professionally and see how they come out. The inners are no longer available but I have managed to source NOS outer Bezels from America. These might be better having never been fitted and should give a new look seal once they are finished. I will see how the original ones end up from the painter and can always sell on the replacements or keep them as stock.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:08 PM
tp81
Instructor

Stopped in to see this chap today, he polished several parts from my Alfa.

..dropped off the exhaust. While the engine is out its the best chance to get it looking a bit better. Not going for the full polished look, satin finish this time. Scott did a quick section with his wheel to make sure I was happy. Fingers crossed it all comes up as well.

The car has slowly been coming together, all of the underside that was showing signs of rust has been treated with Por 15 rust treatment then sprayed with Kent rubberized stone chip guard. With all of the suspension stripped off and the engine out its too good on opportunity to miss and coat out all the areas that you cant access. Once everything is completely finished I intend having it coated completely by the body shop to give it a factory look finish and proper protection.

Old door cards from front and rear have been stripped off, these had suffered water damage in the past and mold had eaten into some of the leather.

New door cards from Southbound

New leather from Bridge of Weir who are local and .........

all new front and rear along with door caps and trims. Looking forward to seeing this all in place.

Chose to powder coat the fan and housing as mentioned previously, these images were sent through earlier. Not the original or correct finish but I think will work well in the car. The blades have been filled to prevent fowling which I believe can be an issue if powder coated. There is a lot going on in the back of a 930 so viewing is limited.

Quite enjoy getting rid of years of grime.

Door furniture nice and fresh again.

Quick Reply: 1980 Porsche 930