Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Can you turn a 930 into a 2.8 RSR look?

Old 10-26-2003, 11:44 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Here are a couple more pictures. Click on the thumbnail for a larger version.

Old 10-26-2003, 11:46 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I only have pictures of the 964 tail on the older version of my car:

Old 10-26-2003, 11:48 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I'd sure like to see some more detailed pictures of what kind of intercooler is fitting under that ducktail. Is Paul Vanderlinden running the motor lower than stock? I've seen custom intercoolers fit under a ducktail, but never the stock one.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:22 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jack,
WOW that looks great! Your car is a heart attack for sure!!
FWIW you can't fit a stock IC under there. You can do a custom set up and some special tubing and make a custom version work.

Did I say how great your car looks?
Old 10-27-2003, 12:36 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Thanks, Stephen. By your cars' standards, it's like a snail crawling behind a (turbocharged) hummingbird, but it's still a lot of fun.

Those first three pictures are the most recent, and I got real lucky with the light -- it was just setting over the hills, and it made the paint look great. The side decals are also a recent addition.

At one point while the sun was setting, it projected a shadow version of the car out onto the road itself:

Old 10-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Lomotpk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting the slippery slope....

Where would one find chrome window seals, frames, etc for a 74+ body?
Old 10-27-2003, 01:11 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

The seals and chrome inserts will work with later glass, I'm pretty sure. You can get them new through places like Pelican or Doc n Cy's in Indiana. Then all you need are a pair of rear quarter windows and the window frames for the doors. I'd think these would be easy to get over ebay or from a parts yard like Parts Heaven in the Bay Area or 20th Street in Arizona.

You can get a front hood, fenders and bumper the same way. All of the body parts can also be had in fiberglass.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:24 PM
p.vanderlinden
Racer

Jack,

Nice job. Naturally I lean towards the duck-tail version. Like that rear view with the r tail lights.

For the turbo guys,

The duck-tail will fit over the stock intercooler with very minor modifications to the fiberglass and removal of the rubber intercooler gasket.

Cheers, Paul V
Old 11-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The most common misconception in Porsche world is that the factory intercooler will not fit under a ducktail. It does. But boy, sometimes I wonder if that cat should be let out of the bag. A lot of sleepers can be created with that little bit of info.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:24 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

It's a common misonception because Paul Vanderlinden is the only one who's done it, and he won't post pictures of it actually fitting.

Every other time I've seen the ducktail used, it's with custom intercoolers.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:23 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by JackOlsen
Hey, guys.

I have a 3.6 in a 1972 tub. It's normally-aspirated, so I don't have any intercooler fit issues. I run four different decklids and tails -- a ducktail, an IROC tail, a retractable 964 tail, and a 3.8RSR with a wider wing and extensions. Since I use a prop bar instead of the gas springs to hold them up, it's an easy switch.
Why the diferent tails? Different tracks or classes you run in?

Jim
Old 11-15-2003, 09:31 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Different tracks, and then also the street. For a track with fast sweepers, the big tail is untouchable. On smaller tracks, the IROC is plenty, and a little more period-correct looking. In street driving, the ducktail looks more vintage, and less ricey. And the 964 retractable tail (although it's still waiting for paint) preserves the no-tail look while still offering some help in highway driving.

Basically, though, I go between the ducktail on the street and the big 3.8 RS with the wing for my local tracks. Since I've got a prop bar to hold the decklids up, it's a two-minute, two-bolt, job to swap from one to the other.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:05 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by JackOlsen
Different tracks, and then also the street. For a track with fast sweepers, the big tail is untouchable. On smaller tracks, the IROC is plenty, and a little more period-correct looking. In street driving, the ducktail looks more vintage, and less ricey. And the 964 retractable tail (although it's still waiting for paint) preserves the no-tail look while still offering some help in highway driving.

Basically, though, I go between the ducktail on the street and the big 3.8 RS with the wing for my local tracks. Since I've got a prop bar to hold the decklids up, it's a two-minute, two-bolt, job to swap from one to the other.
Kinda figured that was it.

BTW. Just picked up my copy of Excellence and read about your car (although I knew about it from the List already). Pretty cool to be in a mag. Congratulations! Your a Superstar now!

Jim
Old 11-17-2003, 12:49 PM
p.vanderlinden
Racer

The problem with Paul Van Der Linden is that he's a computer moron and can't figure out how to post pictures on Rennlist, Turbo911, etc...

When he borrows a camera, he'll e-mail pictures of the Turbo/ducktail instalation to Jack and he can post them for me. Oop's I mean him.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:26 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Cool!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you turn a 930 into a 2.8 RSR look?