911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Ethical question about 930 on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 11:21 AM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ethical question about 930 on ebay

There is a 1988 930 for sale on ebay. It is listed in pristine condition and a real garage queen. I was interested in this car and had a PPI done. The shop told me to run, not walk, away from this car. It had been in a major accident and not repaired well. Also they started doing a leakdown/compression and on the first two cylinders they looked at one was losing 15% and the other 65 percent!

My question is this: The car is still listed as pristine in condition, and the saleswoman also told me the car was perfect. I think that this is misleading. Do I have an ethical responsibility to report this to carfax or ebay? I'd hate to see someone who did not do their research get a bad deal.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

You cant protect people from themselves. There are pleanty of bad used cars and bad used car sales people.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:08 PM
Reesestewww
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which one is it???
Old 10-21-2003, 02:34 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

This one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10156

Funny thing is, the starting price is now higher than my negotiated price.

On the positive side, they were very pleasant to deal with and they were more than willing to arrange for the PPI. They were also more than willing to refund my deposit once the PPI came back bad. It sounds like the PPI took them by surprise, but i would think that they would adjust their advertising somewhat.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:18 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S4 mind your own business, don't get into something that don't involve YOU!!

george
Old 10-21-2003, 03:58 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

ahhh....the voice of reason. Bet you would feel differently if it was you that was interested in the car. Shoot me for being concerned for fellow p-car enthusiasts. Must be nice only thinking of yourself.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:19 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Well if you are really concerned, you can e-mail any bidders with the PPI you received. But, as Trader and George have already said, it may be better to just forget it and move on.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

1 bar of oil pressure at idle? WHOA that's not normal, is it?
Old 10-21-2003, 07:15 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's reasonable to take the middle ground and file a complaint to the Houston BBB or something like that. Their misrepresentation did cost you the price of a PPI. They shouldn't get a free pass. If they had reimbursed you for the cost of the PPI and eased off on the hyperbole in the ad it would be a different story.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:43 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Another good reason why a PPI can save your rear. It cant answer everything, but a good PPI should always corroborate most of what a seller is telling you. Its especially true with cars like this as so many of them have histories with more twists and turns than a horror novel. And so many have been tinkered with the WRONG way (esp 930s) that what you see on the surface is not always whats underneath it. The number of truly original straight-as-an-arrow pristine 930s floating around is, in my opinion, a lot smaller than a lot of people think.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:48 PM
Eric 930
Instructor

Go for it S4!! I'm with you all the way. Good to know there are still a few honest people left in the world. George, sounds like you've had some problems finding a sucker to buy a V-8 911. I know that was a little cheap but you had it coming to him. These cars are special interest cars and bring a pretty penny if they are in the condition described in the ad. Some guy could get raped if he bought that POS. Your talking about a 10 to 15 thousand dollar difference in what that car is really worth. A PPI is the only way to go and unfortunately some people let there impulse take over and don't get one done before they buy. So yes I'd do exactly what you are doing and worn everyone in sight, contact the BBB, and demand my money back because the stated condition was so far off from the actual condition.
PS. Those are some of the best pictures of a 930 I've ever seen!
Old 10-21-2003, 11:00 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default I emailed the guy

I emailed the seller and without saying how or who, told him the word is out on this vehicle. My advice to him was to be honest and try to get his money refunded or sell it with full disclosure and chalk it up as a bad buying decision on his part.

If you read his ad, he practically assures buyers they are getting high quality cars, fully inspected, and carefully selected. He sells this car to an unsuspecting buyer and he will have a lawsuit on his hands.

I know - I sued the dealer that sold me my first Porsche for misrepresentation. I won and received the full cost of full bodywork, paint, and replaced parts = $18000!!!
Old 10-22-2003, 12:49 AM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City

Eric I never had a problem with selling my car it was never for sale.

George
Old 10-23-2003, 06:16 AM
BJJones
Instructor

I don't think anyone on this forum would buy a car from you now anyway!

I have previously had the misfortune to be dumped with a pup as we say in the UK, it is one thing to discover minor things that possibly the vendor did not know about but quite another to knowingly cover up major problems, or be un-truthfull about known faults.

Asking the vendor to alter his advert to reflect the true condition of the vehicle after your PPI seems very reasonable to me.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:25 PM
Reesestewww
Advanced

Im with u S4, Cars get shredded on the Pelican BBS. This is why too…. If it helps just one buyer, then the forums have done a great job!!!

Quick Reply: Ethical question about 930 on ebay