911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

All weather car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 01:30 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All weather car cover?

I will be needing to store my 930 outside for a few months. What is a good all weather cover for it? I am in the northeast so weather here is 70 one day and 20 with snow the next.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:31 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Look into Cover King.

Or do a short term rental at a storage facility. Worth the $200-ish/month.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:55 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Last winter I had to keep a car outside all season. My biggest worry was friction between the inside of the cover and the finish. My solution worked great: I used a super thick indoor-storage flannel cover from CA car cover underneath an inexpensive generic cover from Pep boys.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:57 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Look into Cover King.

Or do a short term rental at a storage facility. Worth the $200-ish/month.
I concur. The Noah covers breathe really well but you do get a lot of heat buildup in the cabin which doesn't bode well for a 30 year old interior. I would even chose the position of the spot in the storage facility. Something that gets most it's sun in the AM and not so much in the PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:20 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cover king has a car cover that costs almost 1700 dollars! Wow...lol
Old 03-21-2016, 11:09 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

I agree with Brandon w/r/t friction. What worries me the MOST is the wind.

If it will see lots of the spring winds blowing the cover around, chaffing will be your biggest worry.

I had a similar timeframe where my sons 69 Camaro needed to be outside (cuz MY cars were not getting kicked out of the garage THAT'S for sure!!). In that case we put a nice soft indoor cover on first, then added a expensive (good breather) exterior cover over top. Then made sure it was lashed down real good so it did not move around a lot. We also put one of those de-humidifier bags hanging from the mirror. And lastly put small soccer ball {mostly deflated} on the rear lid to shed water so it did not pool up after rain. All of this seemed to work very well. No chaffing, and the times it did rain, we would sneek peeks underneath & all was dry & cozy.

The exterior cover we used was a Cali Cover Super Weave Premium. Not cheap,... but phenomenal at sheading water & yet breathing at the same time (no built up humidity underneath even w/ sunshine heat after a rain).
demo .... www. youtube. com/watch?v=JqSHBh4d0p0

I like the storage idea the best. With the amount of $$ we spent on covers/etc, we could have bought 3-4 months of storage facility. We went our route since the son is in college, and this will happen repeatedly for 4 years!!

Good luck.
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 03-23-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: added youtube link to hard spray on superweave

Quick Reply: All weather car cover?