911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Questions regarding my '87 Slant

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:16 PM
mznbleu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions regarding my '87 Slant

Evening fellas....wanted to get the groups opinion before I kept going. The complete rebuild on my engine has been completed, and I last saw it before it was in the car and it looked awesome. The estimate was 22-25k, and it's coming back at 28k....oh well. Here's the thing, the transmission has never been opened up/worked on, original...it's out and estimate is 4k to rebuild if it needs anything....now, I did not notice anything before it went in for engine, so this is kind of preventative and what the heck while all is out...same for turbo, is the original....I am strongly toying with selling her, 5 kids under 13 and little sympathy and/or caring from the other half, especially on a car that is not driven much and worth well over 100k....I did put on a fab speed exhaust prior to sinking 30k in the car, but have the original to put back on, which another place in town recommended before selling....the original Fuchs went back on too, and I have the 19" HRE's to sell later....my question is should I leave the original transmission and turbo as is, and sell her or should I open it up for any repair if needed? Is it more appealing to a buyer to have one gone over or is the engine that looks as if off showroom floor enough? Thanks in advance guys.....Hal

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 02-06-2016, 11:37 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Hey Bleu,

Hopefully you have before & after pics of the rebuild too. And since I'd love to see (& hear more), I'll chime in,... hoping the dialog (& camaraderie) helps...

My .02 is based on two things you said;... 1)the fact that you want to sell & 2) the fact that the tranny was shifting well before you pulled it all apart.

I'll also assume that you are indeed replacing typical wear items such as clutch, pilot & throw out bearings....

Leave the tranny as is. If you did not notice any grinding between any of the gears, then lets assume your syncro's are all still healthy.

Why throw another $4k when you're already over budget on the engine rebuild ( & if the tranny rebuild is from the same shop, then lets assume they will, once again, be over by another 20%, and thus you're actually looking at $4,800 ).

Make sure the outside of the tranny is spic&span clean, and put er back together. Any good P guy is going to ask for a PPI inspection anyway,... which means they'll drive it too. And if the PPI comes back solid, and it's shifting well for the test drive,... your golden.

Sorry to hear that you're selling.

=Steve
Old 02-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just out of curiosity, did you rebuild just for the sell? Or was it needing it? If this is the Florida car that sold a few years ago? It looked mint!
Old 02-06-2016, 03:02 PM
mznbleu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jherriott
Just out of curiosity, did you rebuild just for the sell? Or was it needing it? If this is the Florida car that sold a few years ago? It looked mint!
It is the Tampa car from a few years ago...about 2.5...I drove it a bit for a few months, and the PO had stated that the engine would likely need a rebuild in 15-20k miles. I had it checked out here in VA and all was great. Showed it at Classics on the Green, and drove it minimally...the following summer noticed a ticking sound and my guy here suspected something with piston, and found a copper shim was loose...with 82k miles on here, decided to rebuild, hope was to keep for a while...it turns out when he opened the engine up there were other things that could have only worsened without a proper fix, so definitely did the right thing fixing...either for me or the next owner....am still hemming and hawing a little....realize if I do sell I will never be in a position to get another....with it not sounding right, I did not think I could ever sell it with a flaw, so fixed....my wife just got the news on cost of rebuild without the tranny....not a good Friday in the Bernstein household 😁....but I believe it had to be done either way...no pics yet, but when I do I will post....

Old 02-06-2016, 03:07 PM
mznbleu
Instructor

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Hey Bleu, Hopefully you have before & after pics of the rebuild too. And since I'd love to see (& hear more), I'll chime in,... hoping the dialog (& camaraderie) helps... My .02 is based on two things you said;... 1)the fact that you want to sell & 2) the fact that the tranny was shifting well before you pulled it all apart. I'll also assume that you are indeed replacing typical wear items such as clutch, pilot & throw out bearings.... Leave the tranny as is. If you did not notice any grinding between any of the gears, then lets assume your syncro's are all still healthy. Why throw another $4k when you're already over budget on the engine rebuild ( & if the tranny rebuild is from the same shop, then lets assume they will, once again, be over by another 20%, and thus you're actually looking at $4,800 ). Make sure the outside of the tranny is spic&span clean, and put er back together. Any good P guy is going to ask for a PPI inspection anyway,... which means they'll drive it too. And if the PPI comes back solid, and it's shifting well for the test drive,... your golden. Sorry to hear that you're selling. =Steve
Thx, have done everything needed while I have owned...still not sold on selling...maybe let things settle with the fam for a few 😁 but obamacare, Medicare, ins co's are killing me! Even if I can keep the 5 women and 2yo son in check! 😏

Old 02-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mznbleu
It is the Tampa car from a few years ago...about 2.5...I drove it a bit for a few months, and the PO had stated that the engine would likely need a rebuild in 15-20k miles. I had it checked out here in VA and all was great. Showed it at Classics on the Green, and drove it minimally...the following summer noticed a ticking sound and my guy here suspected something with piston, and found a copper shim was loose...with 82k miles on here, decided to rebuild, hope was to keep for a while...it turns out when he opened the engine up there were other things that could have only worsened without a proper fix, so definitely did the right thing fixing...either for me or the next owner....am still hemming and hawing a little....realize if I do sell I will never be in a position to get another....with it not sounding right, I did not think I could ever sell it with a flaw, so fixed....my wife just got the news on cost of rebuild without the tranny....not a good Friday in the Bernstein household 😁....but I believe it had to be done either way...no pics yet, but when I do I will post....

Ah, I see, thanks for the info. I wish I could help you out with the purchase, that is an incredible car! I may have sat too long to realize this mark myself. I did it backwards... when I bought my 928 some years ago for almost nothing, I should have got a driver 930 for 30K... because, as we know... a 928 is still worth nothing.

a 930 however...
Old 02-07-2016, 11:45 AM
mznbleu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jherriott
Ah, I see, thanks for the info. I wish I could help you out with the purchase, that is an incredible car! I may have sat too long to realize this mark myself. I did it backwards... when I bought my 928 some years ago for almost nothing, I should have got a driver 930 for 30K... because, as we know... a 928 is still worth nothing. a 930 however...
I have always loved the 928...had one of those on my wall too....risky business, weird science movies....was talking to my guy here and he heavily cautioned buying one...parts for 930 tough, but he said a lot of the 928 stuff even harder if not impossible to find, and the electronics had always been sketchy and are 30 years old now...want to say he was working on one that the part was either not available or they found one in Germany....a 928GTS would look great Ina ny garage though and was ahead of its time....

Old 02-07-2016, 02:32 PM
herragge
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its definitely reasonable to leave the tranny alone. Regardless of whether you will continue owning it and settle things with the wife, or sell it, the tranny can always be done on its own separately. The fact that everything was onced over on the engine is a great selling point, if you choose to go down that road.

Same goes for the turbo in my opinion.

Good luck my friend!

Cheers
Old 03-14-2016, 01:03 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd leave the tranny and sell it as is. I still wish I had my slant even though I'd be afraid to drive one anymore as they are irreplaceable, there's something to be said about the later cars, (ie997tt) ideal daily drivers etc. I know when I was dropping large $$ into either of my of 930s, it never went over well at home. All 930s will eventually need rebuilds and they typically run around 25k as you know. Great nostalgic cars, expensive to own, no doubt.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:23 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, only thing I'd do with that trans is detail the outside nicely before reinstalling it.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:53 PM
mznbleu
Instructor

Thx fellas, going to put it back in without redoing it, make it a little more cosmetically appearing to match the engine...which looked pretty awesome when I last saw...although for what it cost, it should! kinda better than when new...when I get back I will post some pics...although having a heck of a time posting from iPad and iPhone lately...

Quick Reply: Questions regarding my '87 Slant