911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Should I clean or replace my intercooler after a turbo failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 06:53 AM
RobertGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I clean or replace my intercooler after a turbo failure

Hi All, I had my Turbo blow an exhaust oil seal and also manage to spin the nut off the intake impeller at the same time.....and grind against the intake impeller for the few kms I drove before I worked out I was causing a huge smoke storm...and traffic chaos...oops

The result in the next few seconds was one of the hardest forms of metal particles going through my intercooler and into my engine.

I've taken the engine out and about to strip and rebuild (it needed to come apart anyway due to oil leaks.

But my question is, is it possible to clean my intercooler (Andial) or should I just bin it and get a new one? I friend mentioned I should cut it open, then clean and weld back together....seems like a lot of effort.

I'd be interested in what others recommend

Many thanks

Robert
Old 12-14-2015, 08:13 AM
RobertGT3
Intermediate

Old 12-14-2015, 08:22 AM
RobertGT3
Intermediate

Old 12-23-2015, 07:47 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

just clean it with mineral spirits. no need to cut it open..that is just silly. pour the mineral sprits in there. shake it around for awhile, pour it out..rinse with water, pour it out..blow air through it and allow to dry. if you live in a warm area, leave it out in the sun. it should be completely dry in a couple of days.

did this with my Ruf intercooler several years ago after a seal failure on my then k27. after I cleaned it, I reinstalled it with no issues.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:58 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertGT3
Hi All, I had my Turbo blow an exhaust oil seal and also manage to spin the nut off the intake impeller at the same time.....and grind against the intake impeller for the few kms I drove before I worked out I was causing a huge smoke storm...and traffic chaos...oops

The result in the next few seconds was one of the hardest forms of metal particles going through my intercooler and into my engine.

I've taken the engine out and about to strip and rebuild (it needed to come apart anyway due to oil leaks.

But my question is, is it possible to clean my intercooler (Andial) or should I just bin it and get a new one? I friend mentioned I should cut it open, then clean and weld back together....seems like a lot of effort.

I'd be interested in what others recommend

Many thanks

Robert

Your friend is a wise man. If it was just oil, flushing it would suffice but I wouldn't chance it after doing a full rebuild. Lots of places for fragments to hide in there.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't you take it to a radiator shop or one of those places that cleans oil coolers?

-Jason
Old 12-25-2015, 05:17 AM
Mistergee
Advanced

Hey If you decide to bin it id like to give you a few dollars for it plus postage if interested,

?

Quick Reply: Should I clean or replace my intercooler after a turbo failure