911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

83 9:30 cooling issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 02:43 PM
egg
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 9:30 cooling issue

I was wondering if anyone knows about the the holes in the sheet metal going around the engine on the drivers side above the wastegate there are four holes that are above the wastegate in the tin they are about three quarters of an inch around are those holes there intentionally or should i plug them off I am just trying to make sure I don't want to over heat my motor thank you egg
Old 09-20-2015, 06:42 PM
Mistergee
Advanced

Those holes are standard,

Plugging them may have effect on cooling,

Another thing to try which worked for me is the use of Reflective padding,

Ive put it on my Tank, inside the engine lid to direct heat upwards and away, ive also wrapped Fuel lines in Reflective foil,

not sure which of these worked or all three, but my avg temps have dropped 10 degrees to a perfect 90, I had to do mine as she was overheating in traffic on hot days, its ok when your moving (you can always go faster) to keep things cool but they don't like to stand still,

Also if you have a weekend free a good thing to try is to remove the cowl, you can keep the engine in the car, and clean the fins and top of engine best you can, on mine I had 38 years of grease oil and grime built up im sure was also contributing to the overheating. Note* when cleaning youll see the cooling vanes, take note of their location as they may dislodge and fll through the gaps a bit and it would be hard to notice, these cooling vanes are very important in keeping things icy also..

Let us know how it goes :
Old 09-20-2015, 09:09 PM
Arnie1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF your car is overheating in traffic there are probably 2 things going wrong. The cooling fan thermostat is broken which is common. I had mine replaced which fixed the problem. The cooling fan should go on when the temp needle reaches just above the 3/4 mark. Also when it gets too hot the idle should go up about 400 rpm to circulate the oil faster.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:28 AM
dos531
Advanced

Seal up any holes you can find in the engine tin. The better the seal, the better it will cool.

Quick Reply: 83 9:30 cooling issue