Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Hagerty Valutions just released

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Komenda Fan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reckon this is only something to celebrate if you are looking to sell.

Otherwise, it just means higher insurance premiums and more to worry about when taking the car anywhere. Only positive I see is that it makes big expenditures like engine rebuilds, paint and interior work easier to justify.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:39 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Equity is equity. We'll take it in life however we can get it.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:37 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Exactly. I'm glad I just did my engine/tranny rebuild. Exterior next, then interior with Bob Budd at Classic 9 Leather.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:26 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased my 1986 for ~$36k back in 2001. While I'm happy that my car is not worthless, I'm disappointed that values have gone through the roof. My reasoning is based on value "to me" ... If I sold my 930 today for a tidy profit, what would I replace it with? A 993 turbo? not worth today's $$. I would pay $40k for a nice 930 all day long, anything more than that and I'm looking at other brands. This reminds me of the dot com scam, trumped up value with nothing behind it. I purchased my first 911 back in 1985, it was a brand new and RED, I was on top of the world and I remember that day like it was yesterday ... 25 year old kids are not going to be able to have that experience any more.

I'm interested in hearing what others think that love the Porsche brand ...

Last edited by Dave 86 930 Fl; 05-08-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:05 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
I purchased my 1986 for ~$36k back in 2001. While I'm happy that my car is not worthless, I'm disappointed that values have gone through the roof. My reasoning is based on value "to me" ... If I sold my 930 today for a tidy profit, what would I replace it with? A 993 turbo? not worth today's $$. I would pay $40k for a nice 930 all day long, anything more than that and I'm looking at other brands. This reminds me of the dot com scam, trumped up value with nothing behind it. I purchased my first 911 back in 1985, it was a brand new and RED, I was on top of the world and I remember that day like it was yesterday ... 25 year old kids are not going to be able to have that experience any more.

I can't understand the mentality of being disappointed that something you own has increased substantially in value. The Porsche 930 is a historic Iconic car- they used to be considered unreliable expensive to maintain POS used cars - now they are considered collectable. You're lucky if you own one someone properly maintained because many were not properly cared for- the increases in values helps folks justify the costs of restoring and/or maintaining the cars- feels like a win to me. Now I will admit every once in a while I drive one of mine and think- would I write a check today for what car is worth- probably not- but the fact that someone else would does not disappointment me.

Phil
Old 05-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
I can't understand the mentality of being disappointed that something you own has increased substantially in value. The Porsche 930 is a historic Iconic car- they used to be considered unreliable expensive to maintain POS used cars - now they are considered collectable. You're lucky if you own one someone properly maintained because many were not properly cared for- the increases in values helps folks justify the costs of restoring and/or maintaining the cars- feels like a win to me. Now I will admit every once in a while I drive one of mine and think- would I write a check today for what car is worth- probably not- but the fact that someone else would does not disappointment me.

Phil
Like the stock market, you only recognize profits (or losses) when you sell. You said it, "would I write a check today ..." And that's my point, these crazy values take me out of the brand because I don't see the value. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs to see it my way, I'm just curious if there are others that feel the same way. I have no intentions of selling my car, I truly enjoy owning the brand.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:40 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Its not a question of intention to sell. Its a question of needing to sell. There may come a time when selling isnt on your timetable but on your family member's failing kidneys or heart valve timetable. Or your failing business's timetable. Or your pending lawsuit timetable. That's why equity matters. Its there when you need it, not just if you need it -- and thats a significant distinction.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:43 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Dave,

I've heard that same sentiment expressed multiple times by various owners - so you are not alone in feeling that way. I for one am happy cars have appreciated but at the end the day I still love cars the same as I did when they were cheap. I will admit I pay greater attention than I used to when driving one my higher value cars.

Phil
Old 05-08-2015, 09:34 PM
shlobeck
Advanced

My sentiments exactly. Nice to know there are owners that still have passion for these cars and would only consider selling under hardship or dire straits...
Old 05-10-2015, 10:15 PM
mznbleu
Instructor

I hear ya on feeling better about a rebuild with these values. Thought long and hard about a complete rebuild, and got some good advice from folks here and in town. Decided on a rebuild, before these numbers came out...not sure what I would get if I sold? Panamera is my daily, and love it...except when electrical gremlins pop up from time to time, and no one can find...just driving the 930s to the shop reinforced my desire to hold on to it...knew one of the rings had a crack, but once apart they found more, so good am doing it complete...will be pics and can share later...engine had never been open or worked on, which is good and bad, but now it will hopefully as good as new...do 5 college tuitions or 4 weddings count as something catastrophic to promote selling in future?
Old 05-11-2015, 01:55 AM
Porsche 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Beside the additional recent press Hagerty gave the 930 in the German Collectables section of their Market Trends Reports, there continues to be a growing number of articles, outside the normal areas, touting the 930's iconic looks and as well as its place in Porsche history.

Even tonight on the Comcast home page the 930 was noted as one of "5 classic cars celebrating big birthdays".
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto...rthdays-6.aspx

It's articles like this, in sometimes obscure places, that are also bringing attention to the 930. Its all good, and those that own them are fortunate.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:53 AM
raidermike72
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl

I get this sentiment, I was a little~ over 25 when I was finally able to get one, but I agree, I was one of the "Dreamers" that could still get it. I don't think that's possible anymore.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:05 AM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default think positive

you are all right about buying another 930 / 964 turbo.
They are skyrocketing and will never come down far enough.

two things: i do not sell mine - and if i drive and have an accident i now can get it fixed. few years ago a bent rear wheel and bumper was not covered by insurance: wreck it they said. we give you some bucks for this old thing. today no one asks.
second point. i bought a yellow/black 2.4E in 1986. targa with s-option. drove it for almost 20 years and sold it. the money i got payed my 1991 turbo (first owner, 42tsd miles, speedlines, silver/black, later mounted original x33 option). so the price for the turbo was about 4500 $ (25 years ago) and a lot of fun in the meantime.

so no worry about tomorrow. there is chances in your life tomorrow too!
Old 05-13-2015, 04:18 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm about to sell mine...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ent-beast.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-pictures.html

Quick Reply: Hagerty Valutions just released