911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Tips on replacing rear shocks on an '88 930

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 05:25 PM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tips on replacing rear shocks on an '88 930

I can see the top of the driver's side but the passenger's side is hidden behind the air filter housing. I'm guessing all that needs to be removed. Can anyone give me some advice on this process? Thanks, Bill
Old 03-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems you'v figured it out....if you can't reach what you're after, then remove stuff to get where you need to go.
The air cleaner is a piece of cake, but it's a little tight squeeze to remove the two long bolts that secure it to the housing alongside the fuel distributor. Just takes an open end wrench, maybe 8 to 10mm (don't remember exactly). Plus, another mount down by the AAR, but you'll figure it out. And, a couple of hoses on the back side of the air cleaner assembly to slide off and you're good to go.

The shocks are not a big issue to remove. The lower mounting bolts that secure them to the trailing arms may take some muscle, depending on how "frozen" they may be. Always a good idea to put some anti-seize stuff on the threads for future ease of remove.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:14 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What Mark said. Also remember you'll have to stabilize the shaft with a box end wrench as it will spin when turning the nut. There's a way to get in there without taking the air box off completely then using short hand wratchets. Ifyoubreplace with new bilsteins, they use an Allen in the shaft to stabilize. I used a pneumatic socket on a electric impact wrench to get it off. Yes, spray it first!

Quick Reply: Tips on replacing rear shocks on an '88 930