911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Purchasing a 930...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 01:34 AM
DasRabe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a 930...

I've been looking to buy a 930 for a while and finally came across a white 1988 this past weekend that might fit the bill. I thought I'd get some feedback from the list as to your thoughts.

The car has a few miles on it (105K), but looks pretty clean. The interior is in excellent shape and everything is working (A/C, windows, sunroof). The car seems to drive well and doesn't pull and I can't find any obvious sign of repair work. My only concern is that the bumpers have been "updated" to the 1991 C2 style. This makes me wonder if the car has been wrecked at some point.

The current owner hasn't had the car that long and says the prior owner wanted to update the look of the car and had the bumpers put on. At $23k does this sound like a fair price?

Does anyone have access to Carfax or some other service that would tell me if its been in a wreck? The vin is WP0JB0938JS050114. Thanks guys.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:55 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Without knowing much it sounds like a pretty good price. As you said, I would get those bumpers checked out and the car on a rack and have your mechanic give you his opinion on it. A lot can be found under the car. Theres also so many conversions out there. If its done right, thats one thing, if its not, thats another. As always, match up the VINs. A compression test wouldnt be a bad idea either. I think the clutches ned replacing every 50K or so, so you might see if the clutch was recently done or needs done. The miles themself though wouldnt necessarily scare me away if the car looks like an 80K mile car (i.e. its aged well).

Just something to start you off with. Im sure the more knowledgeable ones on here will chime in with better advice.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:06 AM
DasRabe
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply UDP.

I've had a couple 3.0SCs and they will routinely run in the 200k range without a rebuild if you take car of them so the mileage normally wouldn't worry me. I just haven't heard of many 3.3Ts with that kind of miles on them at this point.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:20 PM
Lomotpk
Instructor

120k+ miles
PCA 'red group' instructor car
Mid-range mods (K27, muffler, airflow, twin-plug, Kineses 17's)
Dings and scratches
Older paint job
$24k in November
Old 08-26-2003, 05:38 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

At that mileage I would expect a rebuild in the next 0 - 20K miles. That sounds very similar to a car I looked at. The car was in great shape cosmetically and drove and handled very well. The PPI, however, discovered oil leaks all over the place.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:05 PM
turbocarrera.
Racer

If it has decent comp/leakdown w/ good drunk press :P that motor would last quite a while yet, they are very durable if cared for and the boost hasnt been raised.. mebbe another 50k? Mines got 117k miles, doesnt quite get what everyone says it should for oil pressure, but the compression is an even 115(is that ok for 6.5:1CR?) .. it runs great, never smokes but for a little puff the morning after.. and uses a litre every 1000 miles or so.. iI'll get alot more out of it before I rebuild..

If the rest of the car is nice mebbe negotiate the miles into the price as much as you can then learn to drive it for a few years while saving hard for a freakishly sublime 500ft/lb@ 4krpm rebuild

At least thats my plan.. sorta. Is it crazy or what?
Old 08-26-2003, 11:52 PM
DasRabe
Intermediate

Unhappy

So I ran an Experian AutoCheck on the VIN and although it doesn't come up with any accident information, it does come up with a "NOT ACTUAL MILES" on the title for the car. I would normally think that the odometer has been swapped or rolled back, but the AutoCheck also shows that the mileage was correct up until the car had 112k in May-02. So the actual miles are probably more like 120k to 130k.

Would this scare you guys off from buying? I'd hate to buy the car and throw a ton of money into it - for Tony's sublime rebuild - only to find out it won't be worth a dime if I sell it at some point down the road.

How much should I knock them down on the price for this??
Old 08-27-2003, 03:27 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ZCAT3
At that mileage I would expect a rebuild in the next 0 - 20K miles. That sounds very similar to a car I looked at. The car was in great shape cosmetically and drove and handled very well. The PPI, however, discovered oil leaks all over the place.
I think I remember that one, heh heh.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:57 PM
Lomotpk
Instructor

Its not going to be worth anything down the road anyway due to the miles, i.e. >100k anyway you cut it.

Thus, You should only buy it (this particular car, if it passes a ppi, your mom likes it, etc.) for the pure joy of stomping on the pedals and making the 'weee!' sound.

These cars are 20 years old, thus only the people with <10k miles can delude themselves into thinking it's an 'investment'. Everyone else should be looking for Maximum Fun - Potential for a Big Re-build.

My two, cranky, end of the day cents.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:14 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the price of a rebuild for 930's?
Maybe it would be a good idea to buy one with high miles and with the money saved get a rebuild. I am curious as potential future 930 buyer.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:05 PM
hackl930
6th Gear

I would say if you are paying a shop for the complete rebuild, you would at minimum look at 40 hours labor x rate/hr. This could set you at roughly $3500 to $5000 for just the labor, add the parts onto that if they are out of spec to give you a figure...

as an aside, my friend just paid for a rebuild on his 87 930 last fall and it was the high side of $12,000 out the door, this was starting from a new case and many internals also, the original met its maker with a missed shift.

just my $.02
Old 08-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Eric 930
Instructor

I'd say that with a strong engine the price is about right. At 130,000 miles it might be running but it won't perform at least not for long. Figure in 10,000 for a rebuild and your starting off way in the hole and you haven't even bought any goodies. I personally wouldn't touch it. Maybee if your capable doing all the work your self and you get it for about 20,000. Will the guy get 23,000 for it, probably, but not from an educated porsche owner who knows the expence of a good rebuild.

And as for the comment about these cars not being worth anything in the future, pre 80's cars have already started to see a gradual increase in value over the last few years. From 1998-2002 the 78 and 79 models went from a high market value of 27250 to 28700. I would say that in the next 5 years the late eighties cars should hit bottom and then you'll start to see similar increases in those cars. Even though the cars are virtually the same there was a big price difference between 79 and 86. I would say that eventually all year models of the intercooled 930's will be worth about the same except for the 78, 79, and 89 holding a slightly higher value. We'll guys thats my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions, their like a-- holes, everyone has one and they all stink.
PS this is all based on US 930's. Eric
Old 08-29-2003, 04:30 AM
DasRabe
Intermediate

I called the guy up today and told him that I was going to pass on the car. With the questionable mileage history and the converted bumpers, I just don't feel good about spending $23k on it.

I told him to give me a call if he didn't sell the car and was willing to come down a ways on the price... like less than $20k. I don't expect to hear back from him though.

Guess I'll keep looking. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:21 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lomotpk - why do you PCA guys put larger diameter wheels on your track cars????? Is it just to keep those lap times good and high? Or is it the shiny jewelty effect? That is only one reason why us SCCA-ers make fun of you guys.

(note: this post is a lighthearted attempt at humor to any knucklehead who might become offended in a conversation about cars, of all things)

Quick Reply: Purchasing a 930...