911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Fuse problems, help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 02:49 AM
R. Santore
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse problems, help!

tonight the fuse that powers the left taillight and front left parking light went out, so i replaced it with a new Buss 25amp fuse, it didnt look anything like those old school ones it has, but it was made for the german style fuseboxes.. well it blew that one in 5 minutes, i replaced it with another and it blew that one in 5 minutes again... am i missing something? is there a special fuse i need for this?? the one that powers the right taillight and marker light is white and it says 40/25 on it.. the one i used was a straight 25.. any help would be great!

Rob
Old 08-16-2003, 04:35 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Put the right side fuse in the left side socket. If it also blows, time to find out why it blows. There must be a short then.

Cheers, George
Old 08-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Ferrari1
Intermediate

First...take out that 25 amp fuse...you will fry the wire! It is a 5amp fuse circuit.

I am willing to bet that you engine compartment light is causing this problem. Look at the wiring diagram, this is part of the circuit. The wire gets pinched in the rear decklid and causes a short. This happened in my 930.

I hope that you have not fried the wires in the circuit by running that big fuse...if so, you will also have to replace the wire.

Run a resistance test from the light swich in the dash to the top of the fuse in the luggage compartment. If you have resistance and no opencircuit then that wire is fine.

Next check the resistance from the bottom fuse to the tail light assemble wire. If you have resistance then this is oK.

At this point you would reason that the circuit should be ok...so the last thing it could be is the engine compartment light. Since I never use this, I traced this wire back to the harness and cut it and capped it there. The result was that my problem was fixed. I am nearly certain this is your problem so let me know how you make out.

Quick Reply: Fuse problems, help!