911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 won't start and can't open trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:30 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts
Default 930 won't start and can't open trunk?

We've just purchased an '82 930 Turbo and the car is tricky to start at times. The fuel gauge is reading quite low and I've read that there needs to be at least 3 gallons in the tank for it to crank over properly?

Silly me took a while to click on this and I've flattened the battery trying to get it going. I've tried to open the trunk to charge the battery, the release latch is working and the hood pops but I can't manage to get it to release fully? Anyone have any tips for a 930 newb?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

+ never run the fuel too low...3 gallon is ok, but most of these pumps don't like to run dry (side note: on the new cars with new high pressure fuel pumps they are damaged when run dry...just about to spend $2,000 replacing a high pressure Bosch pump on another car...since someone ran the tank dry!! )

+ if you can release the frunk released, the latch lever needs to be toggled to the "left" (if you are rhd model to the drivers side). Sometimes you have to push the hood down a bit to wiggle that latch to release.

+ disconnect your battery and fully charge it. Assuming that it is a good battery?

Best of luck.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:08 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks for the advice! As you said, pushing it back down to almost a finger gap gets it open. I put more gas I and got it started momentarily but there's definitely an issue with either the fuel pumps or the power supply to the pumps. Off to the workshop this week to take a look I think.

Quick Reply: 930 won't start and can't open trunk?