Need quick opinion on used torsion bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 04:47 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need quick opinion on used torsion bars

Hey guys, been planning a suspension upgrade on my turbo. Found a pair of used 30mm hollow sway-away torsion bars for $200 with shipping. They were manufactured in 6/93. They have been used but I don't know how much. They look like new, but then the stock bars in my car look new too. Recommendations? I'm trying to save where I can and I'll be doing the labor. Thanks, Michael
Old 08-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Mike:

As long as they were marked as to which side they came out of, those will work for you. Pair them with a set of 22mm front ones and you'll be happy.

If they are NOT marked, I'd pass on them.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:43 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve, I sent you an email. I decided to pass on the bars since the're used and over 10 years old. I'll feel better with new and I'm planning on keeping this car forever! Thanks for the reply, you where one of the people I was hoping to respond.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:45 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

The bars should be marked from the manufacturer. They are non symmetric, somewhat 'preloaded' thought that probably isn't the correct term.

There is nothing wrong with 10 year old used bars unless they are rusted or have surface imperfections. If they look like new, there is no problem. There is no fatigue or yielding to be expected even after plenty of use after 10 years. I'd be worried after 20 years. Remember, these bars are pretty darn stiff and don't move much at all. Yielding is practically impossible.

I have all used torsion bars in my car and they perform like new. While I like to play it safe on other components, torsion bars are a great point to save some dough.

George

Quick Reply: Need quick opinion on used torsion bars