911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Wastegate help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 10:53 AM
PT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wastegate help needed

well, it looks like my wastegate is finally "done"... Found out the hard way on the track yesterday - it won't open at all & the overboost protection kicked in while I was tracking out! At least I was pointing straight by that time...

I understand many have upgraded / changed to the Tial wastegate. What's the benefit of going that route? And if I decided to stay with the stock one, is there a rebuild kit I can get somewhere?

Still haven't taken it apart yet but the simple pressure test seems to indicate that I have a pinhole leak through the diaphragm.

Thanks...
Old 08-13-2003, 12:00 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get a rebuild kit, but this often doesn't correct the leaky guide on the valve. The cost of the guide and work involved leaves little difference when simply upgrading to the Tial. The major difference is the amount of boost bleed off or leakage. The end result is a little faster spool with a unit that won't fall apart. The diaphragms to have a tendency to tear in the factory units.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't waste your time with the stock WG and get the TIAL. This is for several reasons. You can rebuild the TIAL, get any boost spring, comes in 3 different colors, it's cheaper and it's lighter than the stock one. You can get them for $455 at Road Race Eng. 1-562-777-1522, ask for Corey and tell him I sent you.

Brent

Quick Reply: Wastegate help needed