Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 05:03 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3.3 Turbo 2 mods

I had my T2 dyno'd recently and results showed that the car was running very rich (I also only get around 10mpg) and as a result down on power (250 rwhp). The shop in question believes most of the power is lost because it is running so rich (might this block the cat as well?). I am about to add a filter/induction kit, 1 bar, cat by-pass (already has muffler by-pass) and enrichment.

A couple of questions, 1) How would I tell if my lambda sensor is the reason for the richness and 2) what are peoples views on induction kits. Fabspeed post on their website that panel filters are more efficient... Wouldn’t care that much but the induction kit I am looking at is almost £500 fitted. If a £50 panel filter is just as good, I know where my money is going....

Any help most appreciated.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:29 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure about all the questions, but a rich running car will clog the cats I believe.

On the Powerflow intake, if that's what your talking about, there seems to be stalemate as to its effectivness. Some people say yes. Others say no. If nothing else, it does clean up the engine compartment. Check the 911 Turbo Board: <a href="http://www.911turbo.com/turboclub/board/board.php" target="_blank">http://www.911turbo.com/turboclub/board/board.php</a>
and do a search on the Powerflow intake. There was a thread about it recently and an offer by the maker to dyno a car for free, but nobody took him up on it I believe. What a shame! I would have done it in a heartbeat if I lived in AZ, where it was being done.

Regards,
Jim
Old 09-10-2002, 10:59 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A drop in power could also be due to old parts that need to be replaced to newer ones. I would look into this before doing any upgrades.
I'm using the Powerflow intake which is now call Airetek induction. It does not rob any power at all and there is not much of a power gain, but than agian I wouldnt know on this one too much as I did a big job rebuilding my block so could'nt really tell if the intake made a difference. Whatever the case, my engine bay sure does look much more neater than before.
If you've not purchased the intake system yet, I suggest you just drill about 8-10 4inch holes at the bottom of your stock intake kit. I'm not to sure exactly how this works but a lot of the guys have done this and it's as effective like the Airetek induction.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:56 AM
PT
Racer

While I didn't dyno-ed the car before & after, after I added the Powerflow, I can sense that throttle response is just a touch better, with no real sense of increase in power.

As Jim says, at least it will clean up the engine compartment
Old 09-11-2002, 05:57 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

I appreciate that the lack of power may be due to more fundamental problems, but the car has only covered 45k miles and has a full OPC history. I'm not silly enough to think that you can't **** a turbo motor in 45k but I think is unlikely enough to warrant some mods first and investigation, if necessary, second. If the mods don't sort out the power (fuelling will be remapped with an enrichment device and the potentially blocked cat is being removed) then I will have a top end/rings done. Rather hope it won't come to that.

Anyhow, just agreed with <a href="http://www.g-force-motorsport.com" target="_blank">www.g-force-motorsport.com</a> what work I wanted and i'm dropping the car off on oct 5th. Apparently there is a Porsche Turbo meet there that weekend...

Oh, and I’ve opted for a panel filter and new housing instead of the induction kit. £250 instead of £500.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:30 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Your hp is not to far off stock (250rwhp X 1.2=300hp). I would suspect the cat, air cleaner, plugs, mixture and/or a weak wast-gate spring.

I feel a need to stress this; check the injectors, mine were acting like a watter pistol,not spraying like they should. When I replaced them my pre boost response was better.

I was told the O2 does not work at WOT. Also, I think the O2 works at idle so if someone tried to adjust CO without disconceting it, you might have it set to rich to begin with. If you are going to take the cat off, set the CO to the euro setting of 3% to 3.5% otherwise stay stock here to save the cat.

I would keep the stock air box. Or, make it holey, or cut off the face like the factory did with the cup cars & motor sound package. (More important, make sure the air cleaner is clean!) Porsche spent a lot of time on the effecency of the C2t induction plumbing, exaust & Turbo and got more power (285 v 320hp) with less boost (.7 v .82 bar)about a 25% increase in effecency.

Also, I would put in a "true" .85 - .9 bar spring, remove the cat, set the CO to 3% and enjoy the car on the street. If you are going to track the car, GET A FUELER! You should get about 360 HP, the added boost will only get you about 20 hp for a potental price.

Quick Reply: 3.3 Turbo 2 mods