911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

DIY Tune Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 08:29 PM
mtnbiker63
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Tune Up

I started my first ever tune up today on my 84 930. I plan on changing the oil, replacing the intake, new cap, rotor, and plugs. Then a adjust the valves.

Started with driving the front tires up on ramps. Had to first drive onto two 2x4's, then the ramps. This placed the rear end to low to get the jack under the muffler. So I jacked up the left side just enough to get the second jack under the casing of the engine. Got it jacked up and placed the jack stands under the car. I realized my inexpensive 2.25 ton jack does not lift the car high enough that I could roll under it with a creeper. I'll need to purchase a higher dollar unit to get the car higher.

I then ran the car getting it up to operating temperature and drained the oil. Nothing prepared me for how fast the oil came out. Luckily I had bought a 5 gallon catch can.

I then pulled the inner cooler, intake housing and air conditioning compressor. I originally was only going to pull the belt. The air conditioning has not been working anyway. I suspect a leak in the system. Besides all the heat and air components will be removed during the restoration. Quick note, I did not see a way to pull this belt off from around the engine pulley. WAS I MISSING SOMETHING???? I ended up cutting it off.

The right side of the engine is now very visible and accessible. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO MAKE THE LEFT SIDE MORE ACCESSIBLE? OR DO I EVEN NEED TO? ARE THE SPARK PLUGS ON THE LEFT SIDE REMOVED FROM BELOW? ARE THE INTAKE VALVES ON THE LEFT SIDE ADJUSTED FROM BELOW?

I can't wait to tackle these jobs!

I'll post some pictures after my next round.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Porsche 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First be sure to disconnect your battery.

If you have OEM components in place, it's fairly simple to pull the intercooler assembly off. That will make getting to the distributor much easier.

Next remove the Air Cleaner assembly. Once you have it out it will be easy to check your Air Filer and replace if necessary.

You will now be able to change the Fuel Filer if needed.

Sometimes if you need to get a little extra room you can take the cover off the rear fuse/relay panel and carefully pull the wire bundle pinned connector out.

Quick Reply: DIY Tune Up