911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

'89 930 Ruf BTR for sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 06:57 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post '89 930 Ruf BTR for sale

Have you ever wanted a 1989 triple black turbo with many of the modifications you read about on this board? Here's your chance to buy one (I purchased a '97 993tt and my wife says one of the two turbos has to go):

Black/Black/Black 37,200 miles.
Manufactured: June, 1989
Service records from 12,500 miles
Major (engine out) service completed (July 2001) including new brake rotors all around.

Factory Option: Sport seats

Upgrades / Modifications:

Ruf BTR Conversion Kit (Displacement increased from 3.3 to 3.4 liters) Kit not installed by Ruf so the VIN is Porsche, NOT RUF.

- K27 turbo w/ 1.0 bar boost spring
- Larger capacity Ruf Intercooler
- 98mm piston / cylinder set (Mahle)
- Ruf spec cams
- Ruf 4-pipe (dual) exhaust
- Ruf 3-spoke steering wheel (no air bag)
- Ruf speedometer, tachometer, and 1.5 bar boost gauge (where clock was originally located)
- Ruf front spoiler and oil cooler
- 17” Ruf wheels (8’s front, 11’s rear)

In-cockpit adjustable boost control
Fuel enrichment

Pics available - send me an email at dan@netiq.com

Asking $50,000
Old 07-23-2002, 08:46 AM
SlowTurbo
Track Day

Hello Dan,

This may be off topic, but would you please care to comment on the performance difference between the 2 cars. Most of us won't ever have a chance to drive such great cars and it would be an opportunity to hear first hand how these cars compares.

If a magazine discussed these 2 cars, I'd buy TWO copies.

Thanks Dan,
Old 07-23-2002, 11:31 AM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Somewhat long - sorry. I'll try (emphasize "try") to compare the two using a technology analogy - 8-10+ years ago we had Windows 3.0, Apple launched the Newton PDA, Microsoft introduced "Bob".

Now think of where we are today - the technological changes have been incredible, haven't they?

Similarly, I can compare these two terrific cars. The 1989 930 was the first factory produced 5 speed turbo. It only has one turbo. It is rear wheel drive and is prone to having the back end snap around the front if the driver makes a mistake (I leave taking these cars to the limit to the professional drivers and to those who take their cars to the track). With the mods listed above, my '89, in theory (as I have not dyno'd the car) puts out 374 hp (per the Ruf website describing the BTR's output). The torque on the 3.4 liter motor is incredible. Apply throttle, spool the turbo, and hold on! The K27 turbo spools in full somewhere between 2800-3500 rpm (depending on conditions) and it is an all-or-nothing proposition - wham! In an instant boost forces the driver back in his seat quite noticeable - especially in second gears.

The 1997, with 8 more years of Porsche R&D effort behind it, has all-wheel drive, a 6 speed tranny and two K16 turbos - one for each cylinder bank. These two smallish turbos spool at about 2200 rpm delivering a very smooth level of boost - nothing like the "light switch" on of the 1989. The ECU has been programmed to .8 bar. There are software (plus oil cooler) upgrades one can purchase to have "Turbo S" performance (424-430 hp). This car has 400 ft/lbs of torque.

The 1997 993tt is the last of the air-cooled turbos - to me, this is "historically" significant - yet another reason for purchasing the '97.

Another analogy - imagine your car or home stereo turned off. Before turning it on, turn the volume all the way up - as loud as the volume control will allow. Now, turn on the radio and it blasts you, right? That's the 89 when the turbo spools.

With the same radio off, turn the volume down - as low as the volume control will allow. Now turn on the radio and as quickly as you can, turn the volume all the way up. Although perhaps difficult to detect, you should be able to sense a much smoother transition from no sound to full volume. The 1997's boost doesn't "hit" you at all like the modified '89.

The 1997 is a more refined car. While it still responds to every driver input, those inputs require less "effort" of the driver - assisted steering, better brakes, better engine management systems, better transmission.

I'm sure there are others out there who could add to this. But I hope it has given you a feel for the two cars.

I love both cars. Given the choice, I hope to find the perfect home for the 1989, but I'll keep the 1997

Cheers.

Dan
Old 07-24-2002, 04:39 AM
SlowTurbo
Track Day

EXCELLENT analogies Dan. Thank you for taking the time to entertain us with your descriptions.

If you were a salesman describing the 2 cars, I would definitely have to go for the RUF simply because of the Jekkle (spelling) and Hyde personality. I love the "get ready to hang-on" acceleration of those car. I managed to get a ride in one last year. Laughed so hard I almost wet my pants!!!

Quick Reply: '89 930 Ruf BTR for sale