Stock vs Modified

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 06:09 PM
Carrera Steve
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey Bill,
If your in the SF area, and I locate a 930, could I coax you into doing an inspection with me? Your knowledge and seat time in the 930 would be invaluable in my purchase decision.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:18 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Sure - I just sent you an e-mail. There is a nice stock 930 at California Motorsports (last time I was there). The RUF 930 I mentioned is in San Jose, although I am not sure if the owner wants to sell it now or not. He may be willing to give you a ride though, which is very helpful in learning how these cars can feel.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:08 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve:

I haven't seen anywhere in this thread what you have in mind for a budget or how you plan to use the car. With those 2 pieces of information, one can narrow the choices and start to match up performance goals with model years.

When you think about spending $40K for a car and engine upgrades there are a lot of combinations possible. I am of the opinion you put most of your money into the car first - getting the newest model with least number of miles. That's a good base from which improvements can be made over time that match your budget and driving abilities. One step at a time...
Old 02-05-2002, 07:30 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey gang on the Fuel issue, I thought that all ROW systems were the bigger versions even in the 86-89, however we started running into 80-81s that were using the larger injectors and the larger lines. The weird part was they were using the smaller head. We then started to see the later ROW use the smaller lines and the smaller head. So sometime between 80-81 Porsche changed the fuel system over to the smaller units. I can't find anything in writing, but I haven't seen anything beyond 82 that used the bigger head.
Stephen
Old 02-05-2002, 08:12 PM
Carrera Steve
Intermediate

Talking

Thanks for the input JBH. I haven't got into the budget because I hadn't really figured which 930 I am looking for. I can say that I will spend what it takes to get the car I want. That said, I still haven't decided if the best way to go is stock over modified. My initial feelings were that a bone stock 930 would be a beast that I would be perfectly happy with. I am hearing from owners that this is not the case. Low end power seems to be a common issue. This is also the case w/ my Carrera, which led to modifications ; ) I do not plan on doing autocrossing the car, but the occasional DE would be nice. Primarily a pleasure car for weekends. All of the posts have been great! Keep them coming! I must join the 930 fraternity by summer!
Old 02-06-2002, 12:13 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve:

One thing I am concerned about in this thread is one could get the impression that the fuel injection system is the bottleneck in achieving horsepower.

The existing fuel systems in these cars are good for horsepower increases over 400rwhp. If your goal is to get to more than 450hp, I could see focusing on getting a car with more fuel delivery capacity. But even at that point, you start to reach the limits of the CIS and if your goal is to get to 500, then you need to start thinking about an Electromotive or Motec management system (in addition to major engine hardware modifications).

From your last post, I have the impression this vehicle will be primarily a road car, occassionaly used for DE. That would lead me, foremost, to a five speed transmission (1989 up). If you can afford a 1991-1994 I would go that direction. These are great cars with benefits over the '89 in both handling and performance. Using that as a platform, for a modest sum, you can add headers, muffler, and turbo that will provide you lots of acceleration yet still be manageable enough for street/track use.

Good luck - let us know what you find.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:50 PM
Carrera Steve
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Great post JBH:
I really hadn't even considered the HP levels that you talk about ! That is awesome... and probably much more than my driving abilities would permit safe operation on public roads; )
I was focusing on the pre 91 cars because I am found of the early body style. I was not too impressed with the styling changes in the C2/4 update. That said, the Turbo is the only one that I do feel is a handsome design, and the character of the original 930 is still intact. You make a great point about the modern suspension advantages on this chassis too. These have coil overs instead of torsion bars?
And the talk of the added low end torque may leave me with no need to modify for awhile to boot... I'll include these cars in my search now. Actually saw a rennlisting for a very nice black 91-93ish from Texas the other day. I'll have to relook at it and speak with the owner.
Again, many thanks for the help in my quest!

Cheers!
Steve
Old 02-06-2002, 03:59 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Advatages of C2 Turbo;
(1) coil overs which improve handling but also make it much easier (IMO)to cornerbalance. Springs are easily and economically (also IMO)changed

(2) larger intercooler - no need to upgrade. Porsche got it right on these models.

(3) much improved climate control - it only took Porsche 30 years to figure that out.

(4) bigger brakes than previous years. Also ABS now available.

Like you, I didn't really love the C2/C4 styling, but the C2 turbo really looks nice. The large dual outlets in the rear along with the wide profile seem to be an improvement over previous years.

Don't get me wrong, the C2 turbo has disadvantages too. More weight, more complicated electronics and hydraulics,and more comfort features. This makes it harder to work on and makes it a bit less of a sports car and a bit more of a luxury car.

Just my thoughts
Old 02-07-2002, 12:12 PM
csorrows
Instructor

ZCAT3/Bill,

I live in the San Jose area and would be interested hearing about your friend's Ruf for sale (if he's still selling it).

Could you email me his contact info? Even if he's not selling it anymore, I'd like to talk with him about his Ruf ownership experience.

Thanks!

- Chris
Old 01-10-2003, 08:22 PM
toyboat
Track Day

Hi zcat3- I am also in the SF bay area. Can you recommend a place to get a 930 smogged? I've had mine for about 4 years now. I have had my 930 smogged by Carrera Tech in Cambell. Don made all the arrangements for my car, new smog pulley, fuel mixture adjuster(old one was stripped). It's a euro/grey market car and the only paper work I got when I bought it was the DOT sticker on the door jam. Carrera Tech is a bit far for me. I work in SF and maybe there may be a Porsche smogging shop around there.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:52 PM
rickc
Instructor

Talking

This post goes way back, but I ended up buying the petrol blue '78. It was well worth the price, and should be a blast modifying from this point forward. Do not underestimate the emissions police in any modification. This will be the first year that I am emissions exempt, so I will no longer have to explain where the air pump went. If you are thinking of a later model, make sure that you will be happy with having to maintain the existing emissions system (cats,air pumps,etc.) I really liked the idea of going with a later model until I realized that I would not be able to run the car without catalytic converters.I can just about do anything with the engine and exhaust system now, and will add the creature comforts to this car moving forward. The '78 and '79 cars also shared the 917 style brakes which is a real plus. FYI...when I went through emissions this year, I knew the owner otherwise I would have been dead in my tracks. I adjusted the air fuel mixture, and without cats or an air pump the car was cleaner than my new VW.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:42 AM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
PHD: I have a curious question for you. What year did the 930 have a 915 gearbox if at all? or did it have a g-50?
Anyway I just put a new clutch and upgraded the motor in the swamp monster last week. I put a 915 rsr race puck disc and the rsr pressure plate. I had the carbon kevlar clutch but it didn't hold up, it started to slip bad on the top end over 120mph. So I replaced it with this puck disc and so far so good, knock on wood.

George
Old 01-13-2003, 11:05 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey George, how are you doing? I hear Santa brought you a bag more of HP in the form of a 383...Very nice. Keep us posted.

None of the 930s ever had a 915 box, unless someone switched it out. The early 930s 75-77 had a short bell housing 930 4 speed. This is a direct in to the SC chassis when converting to a turbo. In 78 they went to a larger bell housing and these units will not fit without cutting the torsion tube. The G50 was finally introduced in the 930 one year only...1989. Last and final year for that body and the well known "911 Turbo"

The puck is the way to go. I was blowing Kevlar clutches in Monster as soon as I would hit a good load in 2nd or third. The pucks are not to drivable, then again most don't do what your car does so a run to the quick mart in a on or off fashion is worth the trouble.

I am not sure how that setup is handling now as the car has been sold for over a year. I suspect with the new owner it is still going.

Quick Reply: Stock vs Modified