911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

polishing Fuch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 10:31 AM
Louis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post polishing Fuch wheels

The Fuch wheels on my '87 930 are in pretty good shape with a few very small nicks here and there, but the rims do not have a good shine, rather a smoking appearance.Is there anything that I can do to short of having them refinished to bring out that bright shine. [I have tried vaseline and just about every other non abrasive wheel cleaner]. Assuming I want to get them refinished, is there anyplace in Northeastern Ohio that you would recommend. Thanks
Old 07-22-2002, 06:10 AM
SlowTurbo
Track Day

You can probably find the answers to your question
at the link I have enclosed below.
Be prepared to expend allot of elbow grease. Let us know of your experience when your done.
Good Luck

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/concours_corner/concours_corner-4.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/concours_corner/concours_corner-4.htm</a>
Old 09-01-2002, 11:05 PM
Pete Cheplick
Addict
Rennlist Member

The original finish on the Fuchs wheels was anodized which sounds like the smoking appearance you are describing, so that is perfectly normal. If the anodize finish is peeling off, as was the case with mine, you can use Blue Magic metal polish and a large amount of elbow grease to it and essentially remove the anodized finish completely. What is left is a very nice, almost chrome-like shine to the aluminum rims. This, of course, is not original / factory, so it depends on if this is important to you. My wheels looked terrible before I did this, so this was a marked improvement. Good luck.

Pete
Old 09-02-2002, 03:26 AM
CamB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Assuming your anodising is intact and you would like to leave it that way (preferable). Once the anodising is gone you will need to keep polishing them (albeit only every few months and only maintenance level of effort).

The way to go is.... vaseline.

Go buy a big pot, smear it on, leave it on for a few hours or overnight, then buff it off.

Sounds dodgy, but it works. Its even in some of the owners manuals.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:54 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Louis:
I noticed the recent replies to your earlier post. I also wanted to get more shine out of the Fuchs rims. I tried everything, but the luster level stayed the same. I didn't want to give up the anodizing, and I didn't want to go all the way to the chrome look. Finally, because of pits and scratches, I traded them in for a set of refurbished wheels from Wheel Enhancement in Calif. I visited their shop and compared their refinished wheels with in-the-box Fuchs. I liked theirs better. The rims have greater luster yet are fully anodized. I am very happy with the quality and appearance of their (my) wheels. Now I clean them periodically with Meguire's metal polish (gently) then apply a good carnuba wax. This makes cleaning off brake dust etc. real easy and seems to be helping with preventing pitting. I never tried leaving Vaseline on overnight, but it's worth a try. Good luck.

Quick Reply: polishing Fuch wheels