911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

EVC - HKS or APEXI

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 08:17 PM
gaijin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EVC - HKS or APEXI

Stock 930 application (1978-1989). Which is a better EVC, HKS or APEXI?
Old 03-23-2002, 09:28 PM
cMXi
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm fitting an Apexi AVC-R to my turbocharged 3.2 Carrera. I might have some issues with the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) wiring and I'm NOW thinking I should have just bought a simpler EBC, such as a HKS or Profec A (or B). More features doesn't necessarily mean better. It's more of a headache than anything else, and the fact that you can't use ALL the features because of the lack of proper signalling kinda SUX! The AVC-R would be great in a rice-cooker car where you can take advantage of all the features. Not so good in 911 applications. It needs a Potentiometer type of TPS signal. 911's have a microswitch (3 position) which signals the DME it's in throttle, WOT & Throttle Valve. NOt too sure about a 930, but since 930's don't use a DME ECU, I would think it'd be even MORE of a headache to wire up and program. Just my 2c worth.
Old 03-23-2002, 10:17 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an Apexi I'm going to install, but here are some answers to installing it in a 930 from Stephan at Imagine Auto on the 911 Turbo Board.

HERE'S THE POSTED QUESTION AND STEPHAN AT IMAGINE AUTO'S ANSWER:
--------------------------------------------------
I am installing an Apexi AVC-R, the wiring diagram indicates the controller should be connected to the Electronic Control Unit (ECU).
1) Red-(power)
2) Purple-(RPM or injector Signal)
3) Green-(Ground)
4) Black- (Ground)
5) Gray-(Throttle)
6) White- (Speed Signal)

Question, where is the ECU and which wires do i hook up to(wire color/stripe), and other helpful tip would be appreciated.
I have an 85' Euro 930. Thanks in advance.
--------------------------------------------------
Re: Apexi AVC-R Electrical wiring?

Posted by Stephen on 2002-03-03 22:41:49

Ok this will be easier than you think. Use the red, purple, green, black, and white. Connect the purple wire coming out of your CD box to the Purple and black wire. This is your tach lead. Under the carpet in the rear on the tunnel there is an access cover. Remove it via four screws and access the two wires with the slip fitting (your electronic speedometer wires). Attach the white wire to one of these. This is your speed reading. Keep in mind that you will be reading RPM and Speed only. The unit will go to a default learn mode when it senses that there is no TPS sensor. You will need to program in the speed reading and reference marks for each gear then run the target boost learn mode. The unit will take it from there. The other issue is the speed will not be correct, that is ok as the unit is using the speed reading as a point of reference only and you will tell it what those are when setting the unit up. There isn't an ECU in the car. It is CIS injection and the injectors are controlled by pressure not an pulse. Stephen

As cMXi mentions, you can't use all the features, but it's still a good unit. I have so many projects going on right now with the car, I'm waitng to install mine. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jim

Quick Reply: EVC - HKS or APEXI