Need thoughts on which one to get.. 930 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 02:56 PM
adam930
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need thoughts on which one to get.. 930 turbo

Noob to the Porsche world here.
I can get my hands on either 2 of these cars right away, and looking to commit right away
Let me know what you think ..

1) 1980 Porsche 930 Turbo . The interior of the car has been re-upholstered in a 2 tone black / red scheme. i really dislike it and would have it redone to solid black.
The car RUNS and Drives like a DREAM! Motor has recently been rebuilt, brand new clutch was installed, all services up to date. I am not too fond of the rear lights on the rear bumper but from my understanding this is an aftermarket vented bumper. A friend on mine who isn't sure told me that all the fenders have been modified to look more aggressive and wider ?? please advise . For the price I am getting the car, i think i should be fine with it. Owner has the original wing, and front bumper. I will also be removing the ugly ricer scoops on the rear windshield.

2) 1983 Porsche 930 Turbo Slant Nose Replica. Car is sharp as hell, modified motor work, only thing im not sure about is the replica nose, owner doesnt know which conversion or company it is. Car looks runs and drives great.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Attached Images     
Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy what you really want, but get a thorough PPI first. Both cars are grey market with aftermarket body mods. The black car is probably the easiest to return to stock configuration. That silver slant nose is growing on me.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:00 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
Buy what you really want, but get a thorough PPI first. Both cars are grey market with aftermarket body mods. The black car is probably the easiest to return to stock configuration. That silver slant nose is growing on me.
Agree...test the fenders with a magnet..does not necessarily mean they are not widened..but from the pics they look stock..the aftermarket bumpers and rocker panel might be giving the illusion of wider than stock.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:00 AM
adam930
Track Day

I really like both. I need preferences. These are my relatives cars so I know their history very well for the time they owned them. Which one would you prefer to own?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:16 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by adam930
I really like both. I need preferences. These are my relatives cars so I know their history very well for the time they owned them. Which one would you prefer to own?
Buy them both with the family discount. Put the bodywork back to stock on the 80 and mod the hell out of the slant.

What is your motivation in buying a turbo? That will determine which car to buy. If it is a good investment you are looking for, I don't think either car would be a good candidate. If you want a fast as hell car, get the most modded one. Stock 930s can be kind of boring and you'll want to mod it if you are into speed.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd do the slant, it looks a lot cleaner, the other one is more aftermarket looking.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:09 PM
adam930
Track Day

Buy them both with the family discount. Put the bodywork back to stock on the 80 and mod the hell out of the slant.

What is your motivation in buying a turbo? That will determine which car to buy. If it is a good investment you are looking for, I don't think either car would be a good candidate. If you want a fast as hell car, get the most modded one. Stock 930s can be kind of boring and you'll want to mod it if you are into speed.
I currently own a Nissan Skyline GTR (TT) and wouldn't ever want to own a non-turbo car after owning one. Not really looking for an investment, however I definitely don't want to lose money 5 years down the line when coming to sell it. I am new to this market and would like to know what you think would be a safe number or price ranges to be in with these modded cars considering the black one will need work on interior and the gray one being a replica slant. I am considering both but now I am left with what you think they are worth..don't worry about low balling, I want to be safe. Sorry for all the questions, just want to play it safe and get advice from more experienced members.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

+1...buy two get the third free!
Or buy the slant...and build up a big power motor...
Old 02-25-2014, 05:22 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Have to agree I reckon nab them both. Both look good in their own way. Black on the 930 is a stunning colour
Old 02-26-2014, 12:48 AM
adam930
Track Day

Originally Posted by Igooz
+1...buy two get the third free!
Or buy the slant...and build up a big power motor...
Highly considering both now. What price ranges should I be in? I doubt I will have to build a motor for the slant when it was tested at 450-475hp as per prior owner to the one now. It has been modified pretty well. Only thing that scares me with the slant is NYC traffic and future overheating issues. My main concern is.. What price range should I be in for each car? Also a price where if I decided to get rid of 1 of the 2 it will be a number for an easy sale in the near future. No matter how much a car was altered I believe if the price is right,
someone will buy it. I just need to know the range
Looking to commit to both by the end of this week.

Thanks for all the advice guys, it is much appreciated
Old 02-26-2014, 03:43 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

To give you an appropriate range, we need miles and mods on both cars.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 AM
adam930
Track Day

To give you an appropriate range, we need miles and mods on both cars.
Miles on the black one read 26k miles ,
Miles on the silver one read 63k miles. I am sure the miles on the black one aren't accurate.
Figure the cars have an average amount of mods but mechanically they have been well maintained, all receipts on hand.
Please give me ranges on pricing, I need to give these guys answers today or tomorrow .
Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

$30k-$40k each.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adam930
I definitely don't want to lose money 5 years down the line when coming to sell it.
Collector car markets have been vertical for many months, every central bank on the globe has been printing unprecedented amounts of money and virtually all 'asset' classes are bubbly.

How could you possibly loose money ?

Its a car.....enjoy it as a car, not an investment or 'parking place' for your money.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:37 AM
993jr
5th Gear

25-32k if it's family, 5k more retail
To bring the black one back to stock would be nice, but not cheap so what's the point

Quick Reply: Need thoughts on which one to get.. 930 turbo