Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Is 212mph in aRUF tt fun? Autobahn show on History TODAY!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 05:29 PM
mschafer71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 212mph in aRUF tt fun? Autobahn show on History TODAY!

Great one hour show on the autobahn Friday at 10pm ET and Sat. at 2am ET on History Channel. Shows a 212mph RUF certification of a twin turbo at night on the autobahn. Every porschephile dream should include a red line drive on this ultimate road! Achtung left lane slugs!
Old 07-25-2003, 06:54 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I will definitely watch tonight.

Ive got a dowloaded video of a McLaren F1 doing 241mph on a closed circuit course. Incredible, just when you think the engine reaches its "high pitch zenith" it just keeps going higher. That car was as smooth as a babys bottom at 241 too. Thats enough power to pass Indy and IRL cars down a straight occasionally. Amazing how much terra firma you are covering at that speed. Thats 4 miles a minute or 21,120 feet a minute or 352 feet a second. More than a football field a second. Thats truckin'. I dont even think Cessna twins go that fast.

Do you realize at that speed you could drive from NY to LA in under 14hrs.
Hell sometimes it takes that long just to fly by the time you have a couple layovers, miss a flight, and catch the airport shuttle to your destination.

I think Im on to something here.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:28 AM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

It was a very good show. Basically told us what we knew -- American drivers a dip****s and European drivers are smart enough to handle no speed limits without going on too many benders.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:47 PM
Red UFO
Nordschleife Master

American drivers aren't all dip****s. Most of us speed everyday. Its the politians and apologists that claim 66 MPH killes x amount of people per year. These people come up with any excuse to save 1 life, thus we have to driver slower.

I'm sure all you European people can get stoned, drunk, and drive 220 MPH better than a American soccer mom babbling on a cell 2 phones while driving over a Porsche in her huge SUV and not even notice it.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:36 AM
mschafer71
Instructor

As a paramedic for 23 years I have seen a great deal of trauma and carnage from motor vehicle accidents, speed is not the culprit if you are concentrating(as you should be) and aware of what going on around you. I routinely drive in excess of the speed limit responding to emergency calls but I don't enjoy it in the least because I'm driving a 12,000 pound truck and people for the most part drive about 75-100 feet in front of their car, usually multi-tasking away not paying attention to what they should be. In europe last year I drove 2500 miles in 3 weeks thru France, Italy and Switzerland and was impressed with the style and speed of most drivers, only saw one serious accident in rainy weather! The last thing I want to do is total my classic 3.2 coupe, believe me I drive very defensively when I exercise my Porsche. I just wish peolpe would respect the responsiblity of driving a car. I have known too many people who got rear-ended sitting at a light or making a left turn. Be careful out there!
Old 07-28-2003, 01:52 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

schafer-

Where in Maui are you? Im headed out there in November for 10 days + taking in the basketball tourney. I was out there two years ago to watch the games too. This will be my fifth trip to the islands.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:08 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Speed itself does not kill! Not using your head responsibly does.

When things do get wrong here in Europe - they sure are messy.

Quick Reply: Is 212mph in aRUF tt fun? Autobahn show on History TODAY!