Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Current 930 Values are these Realistic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:47 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

While the Hagerty Report is a good tool it shouldn't be the end all...truth is the prices are what the market will bear. Some guys use Sloan,Rpm Sport Cars and like dealers-sellers as a bench mark. They are not...unless you want to sit on your car for months at a time. That is not to say that some cars are not flying off their lots but some of those cars are exceptional..i.e...Completly stock,low miles,rare color exceptional condition,excellent service records..etc..etc.

There are some exceptions to the exceptional..like rare models in not the best condition but worth the restoration cost.

So in other words..if you list your car..and an offer came in that is a lot(or less) greater than your total investment...consider all the variables before committing to an answer of yes or no. Don't get too blinded by the current trend set by Hagerty or said Dealers..do your due diligence so that no regrets will be felt later...
Old 04-02-2014, 01:49 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by speednme
While the Hagerty Report is a good tool it shouldn't be the end all...truth is the prices are what the market will bear. Some guys use Sloan,Rpm Sport Cars and like dealers-sellers as a bench mark. They are not...unless you want to sit on your car for months at a time. That is not to say that some cars are not flying off their lots but some of those cars are exceptional..i.e...Completly stock,low miles,rare color exceptional condition,excellent service records..etc..etc.

There are some exceptions to the exceptional..like rare models in not the best condition but worth the restoration cost.

So in other words..if you list your car..and an offer came in that is a lot(or less) greater than your total investment...consider all the variables before committing to an answer of yes or no. Don't get too blinded by the current trend set by Hagerty or said Dealers..do your due diligence so that no regrets will be felt later...
Wow! That was a mouthful.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:35 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I read somewhere the Haggerty report was delayed. Like all assessments of values of a rapidly increasing (or decreasing) asset take the values with a grain a salt. You'd need to know a lot more about where the data comes from, how many sales etc. they use to make use there assessment in any meaningful way.
Phil
Old 04-04-2014, 07:16 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Seeing some spring 2014 auction numbers will help tell the story.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:45 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Just got my '88 930 insurance renewal paperwork this week. Last year it was insured for $52K. I have about 60k miles on it. After looking at the Hagerty numbers and some recent sales, I will have to increase the agreed value. I currently have Safeco and last year it took some arm wrestling to even get them to that number. Ill let you know where the chips fall so you can sort of gauge your own pond. On a 1-5 scale with 5 being a Sloan car, mine is probably a strong 4?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:18 AM
md993a
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too was with Safeco but when I tried to increase the agreed to value to $70K, they required a detailed appraisal and I could not find a local shop to provide that. I decided to shop around and now have a policy through Condon Skelly. Not only do I have much better coverage but the premium was less as well.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

md993a-
Last year when I switched from American Collector to Safeco, my agreed value went from $46K to $52K. But Safeco only wanted to go to $50K and then required the same appraisal. I had to get the concours chairperson from my PCA chapter to appraise it and send in the paperwork. Fortunately I got the number I wanted but they were adamant about that being their absolute ceiling.

I just sent my insurance guy the latest Hagerty value chart and since he also writes for Hagerty and uses them as an "expert source" I dont think I should have trouble getting the number I want this year with Safeco unless they just want to be a-holes about it. And if they are, Ill just go elsewhere. Just cannot afford to go cheap in the premiums and not be covered on value. Stuff happens. Fire. Flood. Theft. And with my luck it usually does!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 PM
md993a
Instructor

Good luck UDPide. If Safeco doesn't work out, give Condon Skelly a try. As I mentioned, I have much better coverage(not just agreed to value, but liability, comp, collision, etc) with a lower premium.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You keep referring to Hagerty for values......why don't you just get an agreed value policy from them and avoid all the hassles. I used them for years but the their premiums got too high. When I switched my newer "driver" cars to Geico, one of their sister companies became available for the classic cars. That company, American Southern Home, gave me better coverage & lower premiums. It is an agreed value policy, $0 deductible policy with many features. There are a bunch of other insurance companies offering agreed value policies on collector cars IF they are NOT daily drivers. I get $500k liability, $300K uninsured motorist, road coverage with free towing, $0 deductible on collision & comprehensive coverage and just tell them how much coverage I want on each car. They ask for pictures & nothing else.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:20 AM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Because the Hagerty policy was 2x more expensive for the exact same coverage when I last renewed. If it was a few pennies, I wouldnt hesitate. Double is too much however.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps your use of your car is more of a daily driver as opposed to a "collector" car. I never did try Safeco but I hear they are very competitive. The cheapest rates I ever got for a driver car was from Hartford. They like the 55+ age groups but I couldn't get some car coverages I needed so Geico was a better choice for my driver cars. American Southern Home Insurance is a sister company of Geico & gave me the best rates with agreed value coverage for my 67 GTO, 69 Corvette, 04 Caterham & 87 Porsche. Cost is around $1,600 per year. The Corvette & GTO are cheap whereas the Caterham & Porsche account for $1,200 of the bill. They didn't like covering the Caterham but agreed to do it.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:25 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

I drive it maybe 1,500 miles a year.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:27 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

ok, I haven't been paying attention for the last year. Have prices gone up more?

Need to check this out & adjust the insurance accordingly.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:33 AM
PoloTurbo
Instructor

My "evaluator" who doesn't know **** about 930 said that they didn't go up since 2012 and they are going down in Canada and not selling.
Time to find another evaluator.
My 1987 930 is at 47000$ with TX with my insurance.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

just looked about & they HAVE been moving significantly!

An '86 Euro with over 100K and a rebuild just sold on ebay for $61K
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121324727980...#ht_778wt_1287

'78 bid up to $65K, reserve not met...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111330127724...84.m1423.l2649

( If I had to guess, I'd say my clean & original car with under 40K miles is worth a bit more than the $35-40K I had guessed last year. Go turbos!)

Quick Reply: Current 930 Values are these Realistic?