911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Looking for recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:27 PM
svxwilson
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for recommendations

I have owned a project car for about a decade. I have a 1979 930. It is my understanding that it is a "gray" market car? I purchased this project from my father. I was 20 and had no idea what I was getting into. I live in montana and I have been tossing around what I should do with this car. It deserves a better life than it has right now. Body is in reasonable condition. Paint is in fair condition. I have all the major parts to complete it.
12 years ago my dad had the engine rebuilt by Motor Meister in Cali. I believe the bill was something to the tune of $17,000+. When we received the engine back my dad let it sit in the boxes it was shipped back in and never reassembled it.
This is where I come in with my purchase from him. I have a mechanic friend who works on exotic cars that put the engine together. It was a bit of a basket case lots of missing parts I had to buy ( for the engine). I keep coming up short on the fundage to finish this project correctly. I am considering selling the whole thing as one piece or if I should sell it in batches. I would prefer to sell it so someone could enjoy it.
Thanks in advance,
Aaron
Old 11-02-2013, 02:17 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Hello and welcome, can you post some pics in order for us to assist you better.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by speednme
Hello and welcome, can you post some pics in order for us to assist you better.
^what he said... You should slowly put the car back together over time and to make the most amount of money. Or keep her for sentimental reasons...

Just keep all the parts together and keep everything in a dry and safe location and go at it slowly. IF you must sell, then take your time and speak with a few objective folks and sell it for the most that you can.

**and be careful...a bunch if opportunists will be after your car looking for a steal...* take your time and find a honest person or two to help you finish or sell...
Old 11-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I wish you the best of luck on your endeavor......

Before you spend further money on the car you may want to take a gander at 44 pages of folks who have issues with MotorMeister.......its just good to know what your target market may be reading or thinking about the guts of your project. I share this with you only to lead you to more education on what you may be dealing with when it comes time to negotiate the sale.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

If the engine was rebuilt , why did it come back in boxes....requiring assembly? The fact that Motor Meister performed the engine work may devalue your sale.
Google Motor Meister, or travel around other Porsche forums and read up on horror stories with their engines.
$17 tall for an engine rebuild over a decade ago is highway robbery, especially if you got it back in diy boxes.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:39 PM
svxwilson
3rd Gear

Well that sucks..... I have dumped all my extra cash into this car for 10 years. Feeling a bit like a fool right now. That is very depressing to read my largest money pit is actually a black hole. I am just a middle class dude this thing has been my dream for soooooo long, which is why I have a hard time letting go. I will bring pics. It looks nothing like your cars. So I will bring my pics with the largest humble pie ever. In a few days.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by svxwilson
Well that sucks..... I have dumped all my extra cash into this car for 10 years. Feeling a bit like a fool right now. That is very depressing to read my largest money pit is actually a black hole. I am just a middle class dude this thing has been my dream for soooooo long, which is why I have a hard time letting go. I will bring pics. It looks nothing like your cars. So I will bring my pics with the largest humble pie ever. In a few days.
While astute Pcar buyers are aware of Motor Meister, there are likely a few buyers who may not care or are unaware. 930 values have literally gone thru the roof recently and yours will certainly benefit from that. It just more than likely would not be a good candidate to sell here or at Pelican. There are plenty of other avenues to sell thru. Don't beat yourself up over it....your young and we all have costly learning experiences thru the years.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:01 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by svxwilson
Don't fret over what you have put into the car. As Shannon has said, the early turbos have jumped in value as of late. However, the best game plan is to re-assemble the car and get it running. That way you can get the most money out of it.

Post up the VIN as there are some VINs like the last 50 made for the US that people seem to value more. I believe the VIN range would be 9309801151-1200. Unique factory colors make the car more desireable. If your car is a RoW or Euro car the VIN would have a different 4th or 5th digit (off by 1). I can't remember and I don't have my reference book with me.

Edit: 930970xxxx RoW car, 9309809501-9532 Japan cars, 9309800001-1200 US cars.

Last edited by WPOZZZ; 11-03-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:17 PM
svxwilson
3rd Gear

The vin starts with 930970xxxx. So I gues that means it is a RoW? Which I am guessing is "rest of world"?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:21 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

yep a Rest of world VIN
Phil
Old 11-03-2013, 09:59 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aaron,

Keep the car if you're able... for several reasons, sentimental, initial investment, etc...

You've been given some great advice from the posters above. You also have a knowledgeable and very sincere 930 enthusiast who might be in your neck of the woods. As you can see from the post above, Phil (pu911rsr) in Bozeman just might be talked into a day trip to come take inventory and see how far along you are.

You'll likely loose your *** if you sell as is, because the next guy will most likely have to start from scratch and based on posts above even have to rebuild your rebuild. Not a lot of folks are going to want to pay top $ for someone else's aborted headache !

With prices finally starting to catch up with other esteemed Porsche models, you stand to make out ok if you just chip away at it as you come into spare money.

Keep us posted.

Chuck
Old 11-03-2013, 11:00 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Chuck,
And I was just hooking my trailer up. I have reached out to original poster - he is about 140 miles from me, close by Montana standards, I'll help in any way I can
Phil
Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Chuck,........ he is about 140 miles from me, close by Montana standards............
Phil
Lets see now..... 140miles..........Yup, that's about an hour away ........in an early Turbo ..... No sweat
Old 11-04-2013, 01:44 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
Lets see now..... 140miles..........Yup, that's about an hour away ........in an early Turbo ..... No sweat
You must have a get out of jail card...
Old 11-04-2013, 10:26 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

well for a while we didn't have speed limits in MT, the folklore is an attorney in a Porsche turbo was the reason they were brought back.
Phil

Quick Reply: Looking for recommendations