911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Flames

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 05:26 PM
Andrew Thompson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flames

I had my car up at Pocono this past weekend and had a great time. I chased a C2 turbo around for awhile that apparently had some work done to it. This guy was shooting foot long flames out of his right side exhaust pipe every time he dropped a gear. All i can say is WOW. Now i want to know how i can get my car to do that.
Old 07-27-2001, 08:12 PM
Bob 87 930
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrew,

First is your car a turbo? I assume it is because of the board you are on.

The way to get those flame is by removing the stock exhaust system and replacing it with a header and sport (open) muffler.

The greatly dimminished length of tubing in the higher performance setup is largely what allows those flames to make it out the tips. The actual cause for the flame (greatly simplified but this is how I understand it) is the lift and not exactly the shift. At the moment of lift the throttle body closes and not enough air gets in to burn the fuel (super rich for a fraction of a second) the extra fuel already injected into the chamber is dumped out the exhaust. On my car this only happens when I have been on boost for several seconds and the car is already hot. This raw fuel hits the glowing turbo and is ignited. and makes its way through the remain short pipes and relatively unbaffled muffler.

And if you thought it was cool to see a foot of fire in broad daylight you will be amazed when you see how much fire there realy is in the dark. My flames have come up over the top of the wing at over 100 miles an hour in third gear. That is awesome. I have heard stories of the flame going up the hood of a trailing (drafting) car. Thats got to be exciting for the occupant of following vehicle.

Make these changes and you will experience a measureable improvement in overall performance. Which would be the reason for doing it in the first place. The flame is a fringe benefit. I have yet to lift i the presence of any of the boys with lights but I imagine they would not find it to funny so flame on with care and don't lift immediately after dusting any of your 2 wheeled friends because it may disrupt their ability to concentrate. Lesson learned to live by.

Bob

ry n

Good lucks a revery hFeliminated because not enough air came inthe fuel chg
Old 07-28-2001, 10:42 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Speaking as one who's car blows 18" flames out of both sides ('81 930 with those same mods) I thought I'd let you in a secret: Although the shorty headers are quite expensive, some of the best sport mufflers are actually just stock mufflers that have been hollowed out. Mine is a stock 930 muffler that was cut in half, all the stuff removed, then reassembled. I had another outlet added on the right. Just hollowing it out should cost something like $200... This also produces the best sound I've heard yet (short of no muffler at all).

Quick Reply: Flames