911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 whale tale ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 05:32 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 whale tale ?

I just bought a '78 930 wide body slant nose 'clone'.

it has a 3.3 turbo motor. the rear deck lid/tail is damaged, and I have searched the 'for sale' sections, ebay, and this forum.

so far I cannot find a post that seems to match what I have.

the turbo tail lip has #930512021.00. the deck lid is a one piece fiberglass. I could not find a part # and the label had been painted over so hard to read. but it looked like Extreme Porsche Racing.

can anyone tell me where I could get a replacement for the fiberglass deck lid?

checked DP Racing and found a link to a pic on Lindsey Racing of a 911 that had a full DP racing body kit, and that looked like the one I have. but their web site does not list such a deck lid. may be NLA.

I am struggling whether cut out the louvers and fab a mess grill. but if this is some NLA piece of gold, may spend the $$ to have it repaired correctly. or would love to get the fiberglass deck lid to replace.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2013, 11:57 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a side view.

Buler ? .... Buler ?
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2013, 10:09 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob,

I just noticed your post and studied the photos. It is fairly obvious that the original builder/assembler used a factory rubber lip on a very shoddy aftermarket deck. Looking at the condition as well as the original integrity, I recommend scrapping the whole deal and starting fresh. You'll end up having as much time and money in it that you could've bought a fresh unit.

There are several reputable Porsche parts recyclers that you can call to find a nice complete used factory Turbo decklid. I would call Brian at Einmalig (888.777.6772) and purchase a used 930 take-off. If my memory serves, he has complete red, brown & white examples ...... might have more but I can't remember.

Going prices for nice complete used factory Turbo lids should run you between $1,350- 1,750 depending on year, condition, whether or not it has wiper & AC !

Do it right or do it twice !

Good luck with your project.

Chuck

Quick Reply: 930 whale tale ?