911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 09:49 AM
laszlo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post rear speakers

Does anyone have experience with what type of rear deck speakers would best fit a 86 930 ? I see lots of types but not sure which would give me the best performance and fit.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Gino
Racer

I've replaced my old rear speakers with the new Blau's. I believe the number is PC4X6 or something like that. My old grills were sun cracked and these came with black grills.

What you need to do is find speakers with very little depth (1-5/8") because others won't fit into the oval cut into the metal under the decking. If they are too deep, they will either touch the metal and vibrate or they will stick up above the deck so no grill will work.

I've hear the MB Quarts and they sound awesome, but I don't think they fit w/o some cutting.

no matter what you install, if your 930 is to stay relatively 'stock', no sound system will be really good due to the size and number of speakers constraint.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:52 PM
Eric 930
Instructor

Your stock rear deck requires metric 4x6 speakers with around a 1.75" top mount depth.
I reccommend buying a new rear deck that will give you about 3 inches of mounting depth and the choice to install whatever you want. Some come pre cut for 6x9's. These cars don't really have any good options to install a sub so I reccomend going with a very good 6x9 that will not only handle a decent amount of power but also has the capabilities of produceing some low frequencies(base). MB quart, ads, Boston Acoustics, Alpine just to name a few. You will be very surprised at how well a couple of 5.25 coaxals up front and a pair of 6x9's coaxls(2 way) in the rear and a nice 50x4(at 4 ohms) amp will sound. Your not going to get any earth shattering lowes but you will get a crisp punchy mid/low that you can listen to at very high levels without any distortion. Performance offers the new rear deck and you can also find a couple of dealers in the back of an Excellence mag. Hope this helps. Eric

Quick Reply: rear speakers