911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Looking for a 930 Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:33 PM
930hunting
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a 930 Turbo...

Hey guys, I am a new member to rennlist. I have always been a fan of the 930 Turbo as I was growing up however never had the $$$ for one; until now!

No specific price range, just need the following:

- Under 50K Miles
- Prefer a warm climate car
- Silver/Black/Red as color options

I have one car I have been seriously considering down in Florida.

Here is the listing: http://www.globalautosports.com/car/...upe-77861.html

I assume most members on here prefer "stock" cars (correct me if I am wrong) however I feel the upgrades on this particular car are tasteful.

Questions that I have:

What kind of maintenance and repairs should I be concerned with when purchasing this car or any Porsche 930 Turbo. I am OK with an initial investment but don't want to bleed out money on repairs.

How would this compare to a '96-98' Turbo in terms of repairs, driving and overall cost of ownership?

I know most of you guys are very familiar with these cars and appreciate any feedback you can provide. I look forward to picking up a car soon and joining this community.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

One of the reasons a person would take a low mileage collector car and "customize" it is because that's one way of hiding it's past.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:18 PM
fullquack
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, most people buy a 930 for what the car is and was, from Porsche. With tastefull modifications like bigger intercoolers, headers, upgraded turbos and suspension upgrades, etc.

Not a full 1 off, ultra personalized body work & interiors and a whopping price tag of 74K!

Everyone has their own likes & dislikes, my take on this one is......yuck, poo, ugh.

And to do that to a 50K original milage 930, is a travesty, in my opinion.

Mark
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To much bling for me, but to each his own.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Techart_Dreamer
Advanced

That poor car...

-Markus-
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 184 Posts

I thought you were looking for a 930
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Richard K
Advanced

It was a 930 .....
Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 AM
O.B.1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yuck...I will sell mine for that money
Old 04-13-2013, 09:20 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

Wow..that car is horrid. I'll see you my pristine '89 for $55K and you can put $20K back into the bank
Old 04-13-2013, 04:44 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 930hunting
Hey guys, I am a new member to rennlist. I have always been a fan of the 930 Turbo as I was growing up however never had the $$$ for one; until now!

No specific price range, just need the following:

- Under 50K Miles
- Prefer a warm climate car
- Silver/Black/Red as color options

I have one car I have been seriously considering down in Florida.

Here is the listing: http://www.globalautosports.com/car/...upe-77861.html

I assume most members on here prefer "stock" cars (correct me if I am wrong) however I feel the upgrades on this particular car are tasteful.

Questions that I have:

What kind of maintenance and repairs should I be concerned with when purchasing this car or any Porsche 930 Turbo. I am OK with an initial investment but don't want to bleed out money on repairs.

How would this compare to a '96-98' Turbo in terms of repairs, driving and overall cost of ownership?

I know most of you guys are very familiar with these cars and appreciate any feedback you can provide. I look forward to picking up a car soon and joining this community.
Hello and welcome,

If your shopping for a 930 you must first determine what you can seriously live with. In other words, do you want stock? mostly stock? street/track? transformed or Frankenstein?

There are different variations with livable mods and some that require an investigative degree. Research is the key. Use the search button whenever possible(here and on Pelican Parts 930 forum).

Spend you money wisely so that the experience will prove to be a positive one.

Oh and the 96-98 are great turbo cars just not as raw as the 930. Two totally different animals.

Enjoy your search....
Old 04-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Dknebes
Rennlist Member

I will sell you mine with new paint new interior new tires, Kinesis super cups and 733RWHP 60 to 130mph in 6.5 sec and Im serious.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Anyone who is familiar with building a street rod or modifying a car knows that when you do one thing, it often necessitates changing 3-4 other things, which in turn, require even more modifications, and so on & so on...

I like stock cars, or ones which are nearly stock, because I know that they probably will work as originally engineered. Believe me, I've learned that lesson from a trail of crazy builds that often involved far more than I originally intended. There's nothing like learning EXACTALLY how much a transmission can handle, or realizing that your plan to install a custom exhaust means you need to notch the inner fenders so there's enough clearance (no... none of that was on a P-car).

I also like stock cars because of this crazy idea that they probably haven't been run as hard and subject to as much stress as modified cars. That may not be true, but I think many buyers will never shake that impression.

The good thing about the 930 is that it's a very driveable car if you use it like a "normal" 911. That is, it's a very nice driver that can be quite dependable. An added bonus is that they are not nearly as complex as the newer cars. I know an excellent local mechanic who can work on a 930, but won't work on the newer models because he can't justify the expensive diagnostic and specialized equipment needed.

cost of ownership: You have to figure in depreciation and appreciation into this, and the newer cars are most likely on the downward slope while the 930 is increasing in value.

If you buy a 930, I think that if you keep it nice and don't tear it up, you're more than likely to get every penny back and then some.

As for the $74K car... I wouldn't buy it. There are much nicer cars out there, and $50K would get you an extremely good one.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 AM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 930

I have a verbal commitment on this one, but it might be available if no follow through.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-modified.html
Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 AM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
Anyone who is familiar with building a street rod or modifying a car knows that when you do one thing, it often necessitates changing 3-4 other things, which in turn, require even more modifications, and so on & so on...

I like stock cars, or ones which are nearly stock, because I know that they probably will work as originally engineered. Believe me, I've learned that lesson from a trail of crazy builds that often involved far more than I originally intended. There's nothing like learning EXACTALLY how much a transmission can handle, or realizing that your plan to install a custom exhaust means you need to notch the inner fenders so there's enough clearance (no... none of that was on a P-car).

I also like stock cars because of this crazy idea that they probably haven't been run as hard and subject to as much stress as modified cars. That may not be true, but I think many buyers will never shake that impression.

The good thing about the 930 is that it's a very driveable car if you use it like a "normal" 911. That is, it's a very nice driver that can be quite dependable. An added bonus is that they are not nearly as complex as the newer cars. I know an excellent local mechanic who can work on a 930, but won't work on the newer models because he can't justify the expensive diagnostic and specialized equipment needed.

cost of ownership: You have to figure in depreciation and appreciation into this, and the newer cars are most likely on the downward slope while the 930 is increasing in value.

If you buy a 930, I think that if you keep it nice and don't tear it up, you're more than likely to get every penny back and then some.

As for the $74K car... I wouldn't buy it. There are much nicer cars out there, and $50K would get you an extremely good one.
Well said Ghosteh, Well said....
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG! That car is RUINED! Absolutely ruined! And to do that to a low mileage car too, I can only hope it was in an accident, and that's why it was "modified". Good Lord. I am having flashbacks of that Tom Hanks movie... Bachelor Party.

Sorry if my opinion seems unjust. But that car to me is brutal.

Quick Reply: Looking for a 930 Turbo...