911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 Fuel leaking from exhaust and Vapor lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 PM
helichopper26
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 Fuel leaking from exhaust and Vapor lock

Hi my name is Colby, i have recently inherited a porsche 930S 3.3 turbo. Today is the first day of having the car in my possession and I am just learning about the car and how it functions.. I am some what mechanically incline but just havent learned much about the Porsche as of yet.

The problem that im having now is the car started and ran fine. I took it for a short drive and everything was going as to be expected. As I entered on a main road and accelerated and went to shift to second the car shut off and was blowing white smoke. I couldn't get the car to restart but the starter would turn the engine, so didn't seem to be blown. The car then began to drip fuel out of the center of one of the two exhaust (dead center of the car). After trying a few more time to start the car with no luck i decided to tow it home. Now that i have the car home the engine wont turn over at all. I tried jump starting thinking it was the battery, but it wasent. Is as if the engine is vapor/ seized.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking time to read.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:49 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Could be fuel pump running amuck. Pull air box off and make sure the plunger is able to open and close. If it gets stuck open it will pump ridiculous amounts of fuel.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, I don't think I've seen this type of 'my car won't start' thread before. Interesting...

Pull the plugs off and see if she'll turn over, but before doing that either pull the fuse to the fuel pumps or pull both relays so the pumps won't pump more fuel into an already potentially flooded engine.

Remember, this is a CIS (continuous injection system) fuel system which means that the injectors are continuously injecting fuel once the metering arm is deflected enough to start the pumps running and to open up the fuel distributor ports.

If it does turn out to be hydro-locked (hydro being the wrong word) then you'll want to drain the oil before running again. Could be fuel contaminated, not good.

I would say one more thing that you might not want to hear: Funny how you were able to turn it over after the event, but not once you got her home. That may point to something different than hydro-locked. Hmmmm....a head scratcher.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Kirk930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, pretty crazy problem. Never seen this one before.

Lucky your inheritance didn't burst into flames!!

Quick Reply: 930 Fuel leaking from exhaust and Vapor lock