911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 589 Posts
Default 930 as a daily driver?

Say - anyone using a 930 as a DD? Any thoughts or comments?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as I love my car, i would not use it as a DD. If you are going to use it in the city you will soon tire of the heavy steering and cluch. They attract attention, and at a show or or on a week end drive that can be good but when you are at work and the car is outside not so much.

If none of that applies and you are concered about reliability, all things being equal, they are as reliable as any 911.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:42 PM
fullquack
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been driving mine as a daily driver for 5 years now, approx. 47 miles a day M-F. I live in the greater Seattle area, so very similar weather as you in Vancover B.C.
Yes, it is not for everyone, but I'd have it no other way. Although, these things really do suck in the snow!

Nothing like a full boost rush in the morning to brighten up your day.

Mark
Old 02-04-2013, 03:12 PM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between 2001-2006, it was my nice-weather daily driver (otherwise, an Audi A4).

Then nothing while I was apartment living in RI from mid-2006 to mid-2007 and the 930 was kept in NJ.

Then I bought a house in mid-2007 in RI but I drove the 930 only a couple of days/week in nice weather until late-2008 due to mileage of my 930 versus my Nissan Versa at the time against my longer commute (45 miles one way...18-20mpg of Super versus 30-32mpg of regular adds up!).

From late-2008 to present, I moved back to NJ and work from home so, during the work week, I only drive to pick up my wife from work and I use a Chrysler T&C for that (I'm not driving the 930 to NYC if I can help it).

I enjoyed driving it daily as it's fun to drive. That said, there are times when it's nice to have a mushier, more modern, ride with added creature comforts and an A/C that really works.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

I had use my 930 as a DD car for 3-4 months (2500 miles per month) in a row w/o a problem. That was 2.5 years ago. Now I do alternate my cars every 3-4 weeks-between the SL55, 993tt, 930 & Corrado.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sure. Google "Stockholm Getaway" and find the one with the 930. Teaches you how to elude the city cops!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 589 Posts

Nice. My problem is I'm wanting someting grittier, more emotive etc... but my daily drive is a quick 8 minutes. Perhaps picking up a 930 for the weekends and walk for gods sake during the week! Whoa. What a concept.

P.s. Still looking at the Europipe for some grittier sound on the 997.1 TT.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Sure. Google "Stockholm Getaway" and find the one with the 930. Teaches you how to elude the city cops!
That was way radical, though I could have done without the '***** phucka" ghetto rap in the background. The dude had to have know exactly where he was going on those roads to drive 'em that fast. I lost count of how many times he hit the rev limiter. Also, appears he was running a 5 speed if I counted shifts correctly.

That cop avoidance strategy might work in a big city, but out here in the country they would just radio ahead and have tire spikes waiting around the next bend. Tire spikes at triple digits....hmmmmm.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fullquack
Been driving mine as a daily driver for 5 years now, approx. 47 miles a day M-F. I live in the greater Seattle area, so very similar weather as you in Vancover B.C.
Yes, it is not for everyone, but I'd have it no other way. Although, these things really do suck in the snow!

Nothing like a full boost rush in the morning to brighten up your day.

Mark
Full boost rush on perpetually wet roads. I well remember living in Portland many moons ago, at the time with only a lowly MGB. Moved there from the desert, started growing fungus and webs between my toes before I left after about 5 years.
Out here, all you have to worry about is sand pitting your windshield - and of course snow this time of year (which reminds me once again of my cross-country move to Chicago many many moons ago with my '72 Targa in the dead of winter...I have snow stories to tell that will keep you awake at night). Still, I gotta hand it to you Mark for being a dedicated DD!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will drive mine for a week at a time for a few weeks during the spring, summer and fall. After about a week I realize how much the newer Turbos have improved!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:23 PM
pfijcali
Track Day

It's ok to DD as long as there is no bumper-to-bumper traffic, and you have a secure place to park it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

^agree, I drive mine to work probably ten times during the spring/summer.....into the city!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

For me the DD routine is a 20 mile work commute on open country roads as fast as I care to take it, which is usually 65 unless of course someone is "in my way"! At least a dozen times a year to work spring/summer/fall hardly counts as a daily driver, but then I add a bunch more days in there as pleasure driving. Call me a fair weather driver, 'cause I have a bunch of other vehicles I would rather put the big miles on. THIS beauty is for when I'm feeling spirited and free and not just the mundane rote "gotta do the commute" thing. But then, my other vehicles are about dead, so I may yet be forced (what a terrible way to be forced) into driving the 930 as a DD.

I do have a relatively secure place to park at work...right outside my office window. Plus, I'm the big cheese and anybody messing with my ride might be messing with his livelihood. But being the "cheese" also makes me a target, but so far I have mostly loyal followers (sorry, getting off topic again). But there's always that one guy with an axe to grind and life's too short to worry about it.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Tony Chestnut
Track Day

I used mine for just over a year as a DD in central London through all weathers and sometimes fairly heavy traffic - 16 miles round trip and it was amazing - never missed a beat, really great fun.
I had an underground garage at work which helped but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the experience.
Now I live out in the sticks I probably drive the 70 miles into work once a month - that's fun too
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
That was way radical, though I could have done without the '***** phucka" ghetto rap in the background. The dude had to have know exactly where he was going on those roads to drive 'em that fast. I lost count of how many times he hit the rev limiter. Also, appears he was running a 5 speed if I counted shifts correctly.

That cop avoidance strategy might work in a big city, but out here in the country they would just radio ahead and have tire spikes waiting around the next bend. Tire spikes at triple digits....hmmmmm.
I figured with as long as that video went on that someone would've spotted him. Can't believe the lack of cops in a big city!

Quick Reply: 930 as a daily driver?