Famous Porsche racers who had 930 turbos - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Famous Porsche racers who had 930 turbos

Reply

Old 01-30-2015, 11:56 PM
  #16  
ags28
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 96
Default 930 colors

I would have thought that the cars owned by the Whittington brother and John Paul Jr. would have been green!
ags28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:05 AM
  #17  
Porsche 930
User
 
Porsche 930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 2 O'clock in the Continental US
Posts: 253
Default

Originally Posted by jay72 View Post
I have an old VHS tape titled 'Porsche 930'. It is an old documentary on '76,'77,'78 and '79 930's. At the end of the video Dennis Aase drives a red/cork '79 through some back roads in So Cal.
Received that same tape when I got my 930. Remember it gave serial numbers along with a description of each of the 4 years. Didn't Dennis Aase do some narrating while driving?

Neat old film. You made me want to dig it out and watch it on my antique VCR again!
.
Porsche 930 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:14 AM
  #18  
jay72
User
Thread Starter
 
jay72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 256
Default

Vintage stuff here. I believe it came out in the early eighties. The video went over all changes to each of the early U.S. 930 turbos up to 1979. The 1976 and 1977 cars were Sienna Metallic or Peru Red(I dont remember), the 1978 930 was a PTS Gun Metal Gray and the '79 was White. The driving sequence with Dennis Aase was a '79 that was Red/Cork. There was also an interview with Dieter Inzenhofer of Andial.


Sloane
Attached Images  

Last edited by jay72; 01-31-2015 at 10:01 AM.
jay72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:11 AM
  #19  
Maltese Falcon
User
 
Maltese Falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Laurel Canyon @ Mulholland
Posts: 402
Default

Originally Posted by jay72 View Post
Vintage stuff here. I believe it came out in the early eighties. The video went over all changes to each of the early U.S. 930 turbos up to 1979. The 1976 and 1977 cars were Sienna Metallic or Peru Red(I dont remember), the 1978 930 was a PTS Gun Metal Gray and the '79 was White. The driving sequence with Dennis Aase was a '79 that was Red/Cork. There was also an interview with Dieter Inzenhofer of Andial.


Sloane
Jay 72, that vhs video by Armour Prod. is Ron Armour who should be in celebrity status as well. He documented various Porsche (906 etc.) on video back in the day. He knew lots of owners/drivers of these cars that were POC, PCA, VARA members , and filmed Porsche as well as other exotics. Now how do I get a vhs player back into my entertainment center?
Marty
Maltese Falcon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:59 AM
  #20  
Manda Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Manda Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 114
Default

I wonder if George Follmer ever had one?
Manda Racing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:31 PM
  #21  
Rob S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 583
Default

Bruce Leven, who owns a 935 and 962 and raced them for his company Bayside Disposal, has a 930 slant. Note his personalized plate that commemorates his trash business. Here he is at Rennsport Reunion IV at Laguna.
Attached Images    
Rob S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:00 AM
  #22  
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
UDPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 10,379
Default

Member jgrant on here owns or once owned Pete Rose's DP 935, which was once Marios, but either sold it to Pete or turned down delivery and offered it to Pete as-new.
UDPride is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:39 PM
  #23  
mose121
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 30
Default

Originally Posted by Ernie C View Post
I'm almost 100% certain that Peter Gregg was awarded that 1978 930 Turbo after he won the 24 Hours of Daytona in 1978.

My grandfather bought the car at what i believe was Gregg's estate sale indirectly via an agent in either 1982 or 1983 and it still had very low mileage (something like 6K mi). It allegedly had been upgraded by the factory with beefier brakes and a larger turbo (which I was told were from a 935) and I was also told that the driver who was paid to bring the car up from Florida had been pulled over and/or arrested after going through a speed trap at over 170MPH.

I was just a little kid, about 7 or 8 years old but I got to steer it and shift gears (while my grandfather worked the gas pedal and clutch) on the 4 speed. It was a pretty amazing car for the day and is definitely still an important part of Porsche history. It just had one large exhaust pipe with a separate smaller one for the turbo's wastegate and it also had red and blue diagonal stripes on the corner of the trunk and also the hood, which both had Peter Gregg's signature.

I have a couple of old Polaroid pictures of it somewhere. When I find them I'll post them here.
This was Peter's '78 930. I know the current owner.



mose121 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:25 PM
  #24  
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member
 
MUSSBERGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Down on Penny's farm
Posts: 18,792
Default

Originally Posted by mose121 View Post
This was Peter's '78 930. I know the current owner.



Pretty cool! Delivered on my birthday in 78'. What wheels are those?
MUSSBERGER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:16 AM
  #25  
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
cobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 16,497
Default

Not as famous or well known as some but a friend and great driver the late Art Pilla

​​​​​​https://arthurpilla.com/2016/06/05/pilla-and-porsches/


Here is his K3 935 now owned by my friend and recently reunited with John Fitzpatrick at Sebring. The car now wears its original jagermeitser livery.



His 79 930 was a marvel back in the day pumping out serious HP I have video of him driving LRP in 1986 if I can get it back from his daughter.

This was his 86 ROW 930 Turbo S. It is currently for sale.
cobalt is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:23 AM
  #26  
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Toby Pennycuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,779
Default

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Pat Long (current factory driver) has a 930 in his stable. He mentioned it during the video he did with CJ Wilson recently (driving the Panamera Hybrids around the PEC track in LA).

Toby
Toby Pennycuff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:39 PM
  #27  
mose121
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 30
Default

Originally Posted by Ernie C View Post
I'm almost 100% certain that Peter Gregg was awarded that 1978 930 Turbo after he won the 24 Hours of Daytona in 1978.

My grandfather bought the car at what i believe was Gregg's estate sale indirectly via an agent in either 1982 or 1983 and it still had very low mileage (something like 6K mi). It allegedly had been upgraded by the factory with beefier brakes and a larger turbo (which I was told were from a 935) and I was also told that the driver who was paid to bring the car up from Florida had been pulled over and/or arrested after going through a speed trap at over 170MPH.

I was just a little kid, about 7 or 8 years old but I got to steer it and shift gears (while my grandfather worked the gas pedal and clutch) on the 4 speed. It was a pretty amazing car for the day and is definitely still an important part of Porsche history. It just had one large exhaust pipe with a separate smaller one for the turbo's wastegate and it also had red and blue diagonal stripes on the corner of the trunk and also the hood, which both had Peter Gregg's signature.

I have a couple of old Polaroid pictures of it somewhere. When I find them I'll post them here.
Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER View Post
Pretty cool! Delivered on my birthday in 78'. What wheels are those?
mose121 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:59 PM
  #28  
rdwinelover
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 106
Default

Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon View Post
Jay 72, that vhs video by Armour Prod. is Ron Armour who should be in celebrity status as well. He documented various Porsche (906 etc.) on video back in the day. He knew lots of owners/drivers of these cars that were POC, PCA, VARA members , and filmed Porsche as well as other exotics. Now how do I get a vhs player back into my entertainment center?
Marty
rdwinelover is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:31 AM
  #29  
9114609048
User
 
9114609048's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 141
Default ......Porsche racer who had a 930 Turbo

We got a 930 turbo shortly after our Sebring 12hr win. Sold it in '78...along with our 3.0 RSR and 934.5

G
9114609048 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Famous Porsche racers who had 930 turbos


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: