911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

'79 930

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 05:36 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Baron,
What's your opinion on the value of factory 505 cars in the next few yrs?
C
Old 01-16-2013, 04:57 PM
luke-44
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard K
Baron, Congratulations for your analysis. This is what makes me happy to participate to this forum !

Richard
Wow. Couldn't agree more. Thanks,
Old 01-18-2013, 08:23 AM
T930
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have talked with the guy thaet has the 79 quite a bit. i offered 30k for it. he came down to 33.5k. then i found where he bought the car on ebay for 28.1k. i talked to the PO of the car and he spoke highly of it. i think it is a very solid car with bad paint and decent interior. i saw the "floatation" device for seat cusions in the rear and asked the dealer about it. he claimed it was normal. it does not matter because i would pull them out anyway.
i still like the car but i will not overpay just becuase he needs to make money on it.
the hunt for a 930 has been really frustrating because i run into a lot of guys like him, or brokers that are overpricing cars.
i have found to listings by owners then found the same cars relisted with brokers for 10k more than the owner listed it for. there are several broker cars out there that if they were still with the owner, one would be mine.
i have been doing a lot of research on what these cars are selling for and basing my offers on that, along with how much i want the car. but honestly, i have not seen one that i would be willing to over pay, especially when they are priced close to 40k, which seems to be where the brokers/dealers are listing them.
the 930 will go up, but it has not gone up yet. the buyers just are not out there and that is what sets teh price, what people are willing to pay. i think the dealers are buying the cars for right at or just below the market value of the car then having to jack the price to make money.

i did at thread on pelican about this. asking people to stop giving their cars to brokers and dealers. just wait it out. a buyer will come around. im here and i have cash. i just need to find the right car.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 AM
mapolus
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

T930,

I found the search very frustrating (yet exciting at the same time). While I completely agree with a free market (so brokers can buy/sell cars as they please), the Porsche market itself is unique. My conclusion was that I had a couple options. 1) Wait until the right car came about for sale by owner or 2) Try to talk down the dealer quite a bit to minimize his profits. I looked at the market for about 6 months and concluded that waiting for a car until Spring could result in me having to pay higher prices for the same car. I do believe these cars are appreciating and the summer rush will only help that. That was my take, but I certainly understand your frustration.

I appreciate your appeal directly to owners not to sell to a broker, but you must admit, it is much quicker and very convenient to do so, so I can't hold that against sellers either.

By the way, do you know how much he put into the car after buying it? I did buy a car through a dealer (it's still in transit, so I hope I don't jinx it), but he showed me his purchase price and all the receipts for work they put into it. It made me much more comfortable with the price.

Either way, I wish you the best on your search.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree, sometimes a broker makes it more of an impersonal business deal. Selling a car as an individual can be a hassle. I once sold a firebird to a guy who kept coming back for pseudo-warranty bs.
GLWS
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM
T930
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did talk to the guy he bought it from. it needed some AC work and that was it.

the thing with the brokers is they dont buy the cars, they just advertise/list them for more than the owner would sell it for. which makes no sense to me and this is why i get frustrated. if a car is not selling at 29k, why is it going to sell at 39k with a broker? and i have found a listing with these exact numbers.
i know the brokers are not buying the cars because they will say things like, "i will have to check with the owner".
the right car will come along for me. it may take time but thats OK. it is coming down to i WILL NOT buy a car from a broker just because of what i am seeing. i MAY buy one from a dealer because they could get the car at a price they can sell it for. although, go check ebay. the red 86(?) with 42k miles on it has been listed half dozen times. he offered it to me for 38k. my question is, why is it not selling? sounds like a good car except the color. my opinion is that the market is just not there yet. IE, its not a 38k car, more like a 34-36 tops.
And for me, i would have to add in shipping.

Originally Posted by mapolus
T930,

I found the search very frustrating (yet exciting at the same time). While I completely agree with a free market (so brokers can buy/sell cars as they please), the Porsche market itself is unique. My conclusion was that I had a couple options. 1) Wait until the right car came about for sale by owner or 2) Try to talk down the dealer quite a bit to minimize his profits. I looked at the market for about 6 months and concluded that waiting for a car until Spring could result in me having to pay higher prices for the same car. I do believe these cars are appreciating and the summer rush will only help that. That was my take, but I certainly understand your frustration.

I appreciate your appeal directly to owners not to sell to a broker, but you must admit, it is much quicker and very convenient to do so, so I can't hold that against sellers either.

By the way, do you know how much he put into the car after buying it? I did buy a car through a dealer (it's still in transit, so I hope I don't jinx it), but he showed me his purchase price and all the receipts for work they put into it. It made me much more comfortable with the price.

Either way, I wish you the best on your search.

Quick Reply: '79 930