911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

left tire rubbing washer tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 PM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default left tire rubbing washer tank

New to me 88 930 that I just took over the 40K threshhold.

It has new 205/55 tires put on the original 16x6 Fuchs when sold to me. Seems the left wheel is rubbing against the washer tank-didn't notice until I took the wheel off. Car is lowered before I bought it and the odd thing is that I see old rub marks below the current ones. I assume the other marks on the tank are before it was lowered because the marks are lower and since the tires are new to me they were different tires I'm sure.
Name:  Left wheel well washer tank.JPG
Views: 413
Size:  100.6 KB
1. Is this common and should I buy a 5 pack of washer tanks?
2. Is this some ingenious Porsche system to warm the washer fluid?
3. I also noticed the support just inside the bellows is disconnected from the bumper and has drifted back a little bit in the second picture[turn head left 90°]. I tried wiggling the support connected to the tank forward again to see if I could re-mate them [center of picture] but it protested. Is that enough to cause this? I really like the tires, has anyone else run into this and what was the solution? Only drive straight?
Name:  left wheel well bellows and support disconnected from bumperphoto.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  121.7 KB
Old 12-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

#3 probably isn't helping much, but I'd think that you should have more clearance than it's giving up.

Since your car is lowered, I'd guess that has something to do with it. That's one of the reasons I hate modifications; they always seem to start a chain reaction.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:01 PM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Pelican says USA cars were shipped at a higher height than European cars due to bumper height regulations so lowering can be considered more authentic depending on how you look at it.
Besides should not affect forward reach of tire but I am ordering proper bolt from Pelican and will try that first. Thanks
Old 12-19-2012, 04:41 PM
fullquack
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeh, lowering cars does have some ramifications. You will notice that the washer tank has a curve to the inside surface, that curved surface has a radius center point, at the wheel center at standard ride height.
When you lower the car, it changes that relationship. They will all rub some when lowered, that's reality!

My car is 1 1/4" LOWER than Euro height & I run 255-40-17's...Mine not only rubs the tank, but mine also has rubbed clean through the washer tank fill tube, and it's in the top of the wheel well...

Mark
Old 12-19-2012, 06:40 PM
JFairman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can modify the mount to move the tank forward a little and you can move the strut camber plate back a little to increase castor.
Both increase tire clearance to the washer tank. The small increase in castor or rake in the struts will make the outer wheel go a little more negative camber during a turn which reduces understeer but it also makes turning the steering wheel away from center a little more work.

Quick Reply: left tire rubbing washer tank