Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Would this be considered a grey market 930?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:51 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A GM car that checks out wouldn't spook me in the slightest. I say go for it!
Same US spec car would run 40k imo.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Also... lots of talk of "federalization" in this thread... OP is in Canada and barely any modifications are required at all to bring a 15+ year old vehicle from anywhere in the world to Canada.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Maothecat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Below is the answer from the owner on the provenance of the car...not a pro on mechanics so would love if someone here could validate the explanation...

"Hi, Yes it was imported into the U.S. new in 1983 to Deerfield Beach, Fl., then into B.C in 2007 with about 59,000 mi on it.
The odometer is in miles as it was an import destined for the U.S.
The car only has a small oil drip from the fill tank plug. My own fault really, I should maybe have torqued the drain plug but I used a new aluminum washer
and thought it would be ok. No drips other than that.

Thanks,"

Last edited by Maothecat; 11-17-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Remove vin and tel
Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 PM
idart930
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Maothecat
Below is the answer from the owner on the provenance of the car...not a pro on mechanics so would love if someone here could validate the explanation...

"Hi, Yes it was imported into the U.S. new in 1983 to Deerfield Beach, Fl., then into B.C in 2007 with about 59,000 mi on it.
The odometer is in miles as it was an import destined for the U.S.
Porsche AG did not export '83 930's to the U.S so it could not have been originally equipped with a U.S. speedometer. Hard to tell from the photos but it looks like might have a '86-89 930 U.S. speedo installed.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Maothecat
Advanced

More from the seller... He seems legit. Tough to find a reputable shop to have a ppi done in red deer...

"
I entered the mileage on Kijiji in km, but in the description I specified miles. The the odometer is in miles.
The car now has 60648 original miles.

Myself, and the previous owner, have only driven it approx 3000 miles since rebuild. Yes, that is correct, approx 3000 miles.
The engine was rebuilt at 57430 miles by European Performance Engineering, a Boston Ma. Porsche race shop. I have receipts for the rebuild of over $11,000 USD.

Its no problem to ask questions, as I've had many many e-mails about the car. Many of the questions I've received are similar. I tried my best to do my own due diligence when I bought the car. I even called the owner in Boston ( a wealthy corporate attorney ) and he was quite generous with his time, and explained quite a bit about the car's history. So I know what its like to do your required research.
Yes there are a lot of gray market Porsche's out there. Don't be in a hurry!

P.S. Where are you located? The car has passed B.C. Inspections, B.C. AirCare Emissions Inspection and Alberta Out-of-Province Inspection. It should be good for any province in Canada. As well, it should be good to go for the U.S. since it was Federalized in two states, Fl. and Ma. "
Old 11-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Maothecat
Advanced

Originally Posted by idart930
Porsche AG did not export '83 930's to the U.S so it could not have been originally equipped with a U.S. speedometer. Hard to tell from the photos but it looks like might have a '86-89 930 U.S. speedo installed.
And thanks for all the input!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

M....
The engine was rebuilt at 57430 miles by European Performance Engineering, a Boston Ma. Porsche race shop. I have receipts for the rebuild of over $11,000 USD....
I know EPE very well, and they have a solid reputation... I would suggest you call them (with the current owners permission) and ask them what, if anything, they suggested should be done that wasn't (it will give you a short list of things that you'll have to address if you buy this 930).. Anyway, I know the owner of EPE well, as he's the CI for NER and I'm the CI for NCR, so we communicate quite often, so let me know if I can assist, ok?

Hope this helps,

John D.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Maothecat
Advanced

Originally Posted by John D.
I know EPE very well, and they have a solid reputation... I would suggest you call them (with the current owners permission) and ask them what, if anything, they suggested should be done that wasn't (it will give you a short list of things that you'll have to address if you buy this 930).. Anyway, I know the owner of EPE well, as he's the CI for NER and I'm the CI for NCR, so we communicate quite often, so let me know if I can assist, ok?

Hope this helps,

John D.
Thanks!

Talking to the owner today so will ask got the permission to talk to epe.

I'm really a novice and don't want to end up with a dud so all the tips help a lot !
Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 AM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you could point me to a 86-89 turbo in the $30K range...with 60K KMs, would be great !
The Good: The rebuild was done by EPE, I know Jerry P. and he has been servicing,re-building and racing our cars for almost 30 years. He is one of the top 3 in Ma.

The car looks like a million dollars.

The Bad: The car is 1980 and the speed o is 85/86 To me that says the car was in country for 3 years before the speed o was changed out. That also means without documention, you have no idea what the mileage is.

The common thread in this post has been the need for a PPI, If you are not going to get one done,by and independrnt shop, all the the advice here is for not. Porsche dealers are fine for water cooled cars and parts, 90% of their techs wern't born when our cars were built.

As far as the 86-89 cars are concerned, they are out there and ASKING PRICE ain't GETTING PRICE. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Maothecat
Advanced

Originally Posted by six gun
The Good: The rebuild was done by EPE, I know Jerry P. and he has been servicing,re-building and racing our cars for almost 30 years. He is one of the top 3 in Ma.

The Bad: The car is 1980 and the speed o is 85/86 To me that says the car was in country for 3 years before the speed o was changed out. That also means without documention, you have no idea what the mileage is.

The common thread in this post has been the need for a PPI, If you are not going to get one done,by and independrnt shop, all the the advice here is for not. Porsche dealers are fine for water cooled cars and parts, 90% of their techs wern't born when our cars were built.

As far as the 86-89 cars are concerned, they are out there and ASKING PRICE ain't GETTING PRICE. GOOD LUCK!!
A ppi will be done if I have a reasonable idea that this car is not junk...tough to find a garage in red deer Alberta though...

Thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Maothecat
Advanced

Originally Posted by six gun

By the way...is your 86 for sale? Looks great
Old 11-09-2012, 01:35 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way...is your 86 for sale? Looks great
No... Thanks for the compliment. You can always use a shop in the town where the car is or close. One of the benifits of the 86-89 cars is that they are covered under CAR FAX and while not infaliable does give you another tool.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Maothecat
Advanced

Got the car fax on the car and it corroborates a 1983 import date. Also have received a ton of service records...also have a Porsche certificate of authenticity. Next step ppi...
Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 PM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Another bump for EPE. I just picked up my 930 from Jerry at EPE this morning, he fixed a series of electronics issues in my (new to me) 930 resulting from a combined bad new part, voltage regulator and sneaky yellow relay issue. He knows these cars and the issues very well, I agree call him.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds good, if the ppi is good, talk to the epe guy. Remember the car is over 25 yrs old it might have some minor stuff, easily dealt with, keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Would this be considered a grey market 930?