Perhaps a dumb question: long term ownership of 89 930

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 01:11 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts
Default Perhaps a dumb question: long term ownership of 89 930

So, my pops has an 89 930 that he bought new and brought home on my birthday in 1988 as I recall. Dad is getting up there in age, and will eventually want to pass the car on to me to keep; likely sooner rather than later. As you guys know, driving these things without power steering and no A/C etc.. is a big PIA. I am hoping to buy a place in the DC area with garage space for my cars and the 930 when I come back from Japan next year.

I generally turn my own wrenches and my intent with the 930 is to just keep it forever and keep it running. How I will get high test in 2050 I don't know, but I look forward to it. The car has very low miles, probably less than 40k. I am not sure if the meter is working any long. That said, dad and I had some really great times at Sebring doing DEs. I certainly let it hang a little too far out a few times The car has been been well taken care of at Reeves in Tampa and Eibell performance in St. Pete.

All that said, have folks considered buying up wear items for the purpose of keeping their cars for a very long time? Aside from the 5-speed, and some cosmetic differences, I think the 89 is almost mechanically the same as preceeding years.

I have tons of extra parts for my 951, but parts are very easy to come by because of the production volume. I know very little about the 911 engines outside of helping my buddies with some minor projects, so I thought to check the rennlist braintrust (which now includes John D.) to see if you all had any thoughts.

Thanks!
Gator
Old 10-13-2012, 09:52 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I wouldn't worry about normal wear and tear items for the foreseeable future. A lot of these are used in many different 911/930's. You may want to sand bag an exhaust system. That will eventually go. Things like specific engine tin ( the piece right above the turbo to be precise) are already getting a bit spendy. Maybe keep an eye out for cis components as well.

These are very robust cars.
But if you hammer and don't maintain them you will pay.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Thanks Mus. We have a new(ish) exhaust system because our original failed. I think we have a billy boat exhaust from the headers down. Good idea on the CIS components; that said, I could always use a stand-alone or something like mega squirt in a pinch (I am a patent attorney with a computer engineering background). Appreciate any guidance. I am thinking I will buy something in Bethesda or Arlington with space for all my internal combustion engine machines when I get back from Japan.

Quick Reply: Perhaps a dumb question: long term ownership of 89 930