930 build suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 PM
ry646
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 build suggestions...

Hi everyone,

So I have recently become a bit of a Porsche addict.... I purchased a 78 930 and frankly I'd like to build a beast. Suspension and brake upgrades are obvious as I am not new to modifying cars entirely but I am curious as what route to take with the engine. I've done some reading on this forum and I've found suggestions to introduce electronic fuel injection, larger intercooler, twin spark, converting to twin turbo to reduce lag, and regular bolt-ons on would have to do with them (fuel pump, exhaust, etc..) . I also read a bit about Aerocharger's variable vain turbos. Also, which intake manifold is to be used with EFI? (NA 993 intake manifold??) I've come to a point where I'd rather build something classic and great instead of buying something new. Any thoughts or direction is much appreciated? Thank you.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice is to first get to know what you have. Then, the normal bolt-ons to help her breathe better and add performance (K27 turbo, larger intercooler, headers, SC cams). Those alone will make the car come alive.
After those, a person usually moves next to fueling control improvements (adjustable WUR) if you intend to keep the stock CIS system. But if you really want to go for broke, then cough up something like 6 figures and go for the EFI conversion. But I wonder if that money is well spent (the EFI) vs. the noticeable performance improvement it produces. Perhaps do the basic minimum bolt on mods and use that cash for suspension and drive train (clutch/flywheel) improvements first. Do this in phases, and each phase complements the next.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:39 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree, simple bolt ons and your pushing 400hp. That's enough for me right now, the gains beyond that are minimal and the costs high.
Don't try to convert a 930 into a gt2.

Quick Reply: 930 build suggestions...