911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Another new 930 owner! 88 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 AM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Another new 930 owner! 88 Cab

This is the conclusion to a long, long search that started in 88 when I used to eat my lunch across from the Porsche dealer in Southport CT just to watch owners drive in and out. The dealer is long gone but the dream remained. I drove Caymans, Boxsters and 911's and they were fun but the 930 is what I always wanted.

Now it's on it's way and will arrive Thursday or Friday. She is a stock 88 930 cab with 40K miles, Grand Prix White with blue interior and has been off the grid, maintained in a private collection since 98, more collected than maintained. She needed major fuel cleaning, new tires and some electronics etc. and now needs some fun mileage put on her before winter and I am VERY happy to provide it.
I've reorganized and cleaned the garage and am converting to a high lift garage door so I can get a lift in before winter. My wife thinks I'll finally stop obsessing but she has no idea.

I have been reading this forum for months and looking over Porsche parts specifications to learn as much as I could but I'm sure I still have a lot of newbie questions so I ask your patience.
I'll post pictures when she arrives.

Matt
Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by reachme
My wife thinks I'll finally stop obsessing but she has no idea.
Hahaha!
Welcome welcome welcome!

You know what's expected of you now, so get that camera ready!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:25 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
Hahaha!
Welcome welcome welcome!

You know what's expected of you now, so get that camera ready!
+ 1
Old 09-26-2012, 04:36 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Outstanding!!!! And as well - I'll add my "Welcome"!!!

As well - what the others said about posting pics.... I've found out some of the folks can be relentless on that subject

John D.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:27 PM
reachme
Instructor

Default Pictures of the car. . .

I took delivery of the car today. Here is the first pic of the car when I first started it up. Followed by a picture 7 miles later when the engine stalled, would not start again and needed to be loaded onto a flatbed. I am at a low point right now and this is probably when someone chimes in about "Welcome to 930 ownership" and then chuckles a little longer than is polite.

It is in good hands and I hope to know what is wrong tomorrow. Yes I had 2 PPI's done on the car-both by the two top PCA recommended mechanics in the area for old turbos. Couldn't cover my bases any better or so I thought.
Attached Images   
Old 09-27-2012, 07:35 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Congrats..she looks great! Chin up, most of us have all been there with these old girls. Hopefully it is a simple fix. These cars are not as complicated as some make them out to be...enjoy it in good health.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:37 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Been there, done that.
I'm sure it's something simple. Coil/cdi, yellow relay, etc.. A lot of good infoo on this topic on pelican.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:10 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats - great looking Turbo..!

OK - I'm a little biased when I say this - BUT - every one of my "new to me cars" has had one major issue when I first owned them!! It's a good sign, believe it or not? I think it's their way of "testing the new owner" to see what kind of care they are going to get long term?? (<--- well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it )..

Keep us updated!!!

John
Old 09-28-2012, 01:04 PM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

that's a great looking car. congrats.

it's a really old car whatever you say so you have to be patient with it and work thru its flaws. lately, i've been buying old cars and i come to expect that no matter how many inspections i do, there will always be an issue when it arrives. just fix it properly and enjoy more later.

to be honest, the only old car i got that didn't have a single issue was the 930 i bought from JDHertz here on the forum.... actually i still had to add freon... and that's it. on all the others, i had to work it out with the issues. it'll be all right. it's actually more fulfilling once you yourself sort her out and get her in top condition.

good luck.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:57 PM
pdqcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

She sat on the shelf for a long long time when she shoulda been exercised regularly for maintaining best health & attitude. Once you sort out the cobwebs & break her in she'll be good to you & you'll be grinning ear to ear. Cheers!

p.s. I'm curious to know what was done exactly re: the fuel issue. Was system flushed, tank drained, etc..?
Old 09-28-2012, 05:59 PM
reachme
Instructor

Early diagnosis is the Ignition Control Module (Spark Box). an aftermarket was put in that seems to have miraculously failed 7 miles into my ownership. But of course once up on the lift. . . brake pads, CV joints and lets hope that's all once it gets running. Thanks all for your encouraging words.

And thank you also TT Surgeon for changing your avatar from the slant nose. It took me awhile to come to terms with my not being able to afford a nice 505 and your and a couple others avatars were salt in the wound.

PDQ, the fuel pumps were replaced, fuel filters, fuel lines, tank out, cleaned and re-coated, gaskets. interestingly the Ignition Control Module was also recently replaced also.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:00 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

Matt,
I hope you like it. I love the fact it has low miles. I drove my 88 this week and after an hour or so, I have that feeling I should just keep it, but that 996 Turbo CAB is calling my name.

Drive it as much as you can.

Mark

Last edited by HkPlinker; 09-29-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 AM
PoloTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new car.

Check the 3 main wires from the ignition switch that go in the upper dash. Even a slight disconnection and the car doesn't start.Worth a look.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:02 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

^^^^ or even the switch coming loose from the ignition lock.

I had some teething issues with my car when I first got it. I still have the new fuel pumps that I never needed. My problems were the fuel pump relays.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A CDI box failure is common, but a aftermarket, ie permatune must be matched with the permatune coil as well or constant failures will occur.
Mine fried too this summer in heavy traffic, flat towed home.....blows.

Quick Reply: Another new 930 owner! 88 Cab