911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

California Supersport Auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 PM
930North
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Supersport Auto

These guys have what appears to be a late 86 US spec 930 for sale black with red interior. Claim 52k miles from new but who knows. Asking $39K. Anyone had dealings with these guys or know of them. Hard to tell what the body looks like in the photos. There are a couple of spots that look suspicious. We cannot import cars into Canada that have had previous chassis damage. Friend got a Viper all the way to Calgary and had it fail the inspection because of that. Lucky the seller in the US gave him his money back. EBay item #160818411639. I am running cautious after losing my previous 86 sale.

Barry
Old 06-11-2012, 11:16 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barry,

Remember, the very old but pertinent adage .......... "You get what you pay for"!

There is a reason that they are only asking $39k !

Trust your gut !
Old 06-12-2012, 02:23 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw the car on the listing. Yes, you get what you pay for.
It has an aftermarket exhaust catless, if that makes a difference.
The interior is rough, shows it's age. I wish these guys wouldn't use that oily **** to clean the interiors.
Underneath, aside from the exhaust looks stock. It has a number of oil leaks, which will need to be addressed.
On the video test drive, runs pretty good, gets full boost.
You just have to decide if it's in your price range. Granted, eventually it might need some work, but at 35 I think it's an ok deal.
Don't expect a 60k car for 40k, not gonna happen. Decide what you want to spend and get the best lowest mile example you can find.
Offer 30-35 and see what they say.
c
Old 06-17-2012, 09:40 PM
930North
Intermediate

Test drove a red Canadian 87 car today in Calgary. Bone stock, with metric speedo. Sold new in canada. Even the IC fins are not dented. He has had it 5 years and wants to sell. Has 90,000km on it which is about 56000miles. Gear lever feels a bit mushy but shifts without crunching gears. He has done all the maintenance including recent rear wheel bearings and says some coil wire shorted out recently so has a new coil, some other electrical device and alternator. AC is R12 and does not blow much cold so will need the conversion to R134. Will get a PPI done and see where we go from there. Car is super clean outside and in and is red/black.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:30 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

sounds good
Old 06-18-2012, 07:57 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 930North
Test drove a red Canadian 87 car today in Calgary. Bone stock, with metric speedo. Sold new in canada. Even the IC fins are not dented. He has had it 5 years and wants to sell. Has 90,000km on it which is about 56000miles. Gear lever feels a bit mushy but shifts without crunching gears. He has done all the maintenance including recent rear wheel bearings and says some coil wire shorted out recently so has a new coil, some other electrical device and alternator. AC is R12 and does not blow much cold so will need the conversion to R134. Will get a PPI done and see where we go from there. Car is super clean outside and in and is red/black.
The mushiness could be play in the linkage. That could cost a lot to make right...hint hint

If the oil hasn't been changed recently an oil analysis would not be a bad idea.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:20 AM
930North
Intermediate

This car has been serviced regularly. Good thing when the guys who own these things live in condos. Will contact him tomorrow as I was away on business last two days. Updates later. Just one question though - if one was to spend a couple of grand to make the power band come down lower in RPM what would you do? K27 turbo??? headers/muffler??? or both to compliment each other. I/C will have to wait. Test drive saw the boost go to full scale on the little guage. It seemed to work erratic though and he claims it is the pressure transducer/sender. Anyone care to comment on price and probability here.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:45 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Headers, muffler, IC, k27, 1 bar spring....you're rapidly approaching 400 hp, <3000#
you do da math!

Quick Reply: California Supersport Auto