911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Clutch Cable Boden Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Handy930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Cable Boden Tube?

Still having clutch chatter. I had removed the clutch cable from my 79' to inspect. Did not notice the leather like loop attached to the chassis between the tunnel and the transmission attachment. Does the cable go through this loop before it goes into the tunnel? From all I read the position of the Boden Tube is critical.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:11 PM
rbonome
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I eliminated the strap and position the tube as it was, I believe with the curve level with the ground. Worked great! I just left the strap out of the equation. The space is small and tight.
Good luck !
Old 06-09-2012, 06:13 PM
rbonome
Rennlist Member

Is the all the time, up and down or mostly down shifting ?
Old 06-09-2012, 06:15 PM
rbonome
Rennlist Member

Your correct the position tube is critical.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Handy930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, solved but a bit of a story. I have found that there is a difference in the length of the clutch cable between older 930's and the newer ones. The reason is the angle of the clutch lever. The older peddle assemblies have the clutch lever at a more forward angle. I fought this before installing a new cable that obviously was for the newer 930. I could not find a correct cable so I lengthened the one I had about 1/4 of inch. I had input from others that surely there was enough adjustment in the cable to compensate for the shorter length. So when I was putting it back together I observed that the Boden tube did not seem to be seated firmly. I reasoned that this was really my problem all along so I removed the 1/4" modification. Will that was not the right thing to do. The Boden tube was rubbing on the throttle bell crank and the clutch was chattering on take off. I finally figured that I needed to relengthen the cable. Now the cable does not rub and the clutch is functioning OK so far. Has anyone run into this problem with replacing the clutch cable on a 79 930?

Quick Reply: Clutch Cable Boden Tube?